Trusted Contributor

I'm in my (very) late 60's.  I can rememeber 3 years ago at a doctor's visit telling her that I was 'fine as frog hair' when she asked how I was doing....Shortly after that, everything changed and it's been one thing right after the next ever since.  Life can turn on a dime..enjoy being pain free while you can and count your blessings !

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sooner 

Huh?    This thread is almost a year old.

@Tinkrbl44 I'm a lot older than that!  Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

After watching my parents go through cancer and all they dealt with growing older... I'm now 60 and I thought it would be easier years ago, but not now.

I'm in good shape, look younger than my age... but I feel more tired, less happy, more stress (with all the worries of finances, (I still have to work), illnesses, loneliness).

They always made growing older look like the "Golden Years" when I was a kid.   HA!  Far from it.  You're blessed if you have family, loved ones and financial security.  Otherwise, getting older can be a very difficult time for some.

Seeing my body with new aches and pains.   Watching my hair thin... it's hard.  The worst for me is the worry of being alone as I get older.  I fear going through what my parents did by myself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Black Cat Back 

Think I added a post to this thread way back when it was started. Have no idea what I said in that one, but how I feel about getting older, has not changed, even if my wording is different.

Looks like I was about 23 when you were born, so have a few years on you there. I really didn't think far ahead at any time in my adult life, even before. I lived, and still live for the present, not tomorrow/next week/next month and so on.

In spite of my chosing things I wanted to do, that beat my body up over the years! That,  along with several near death experiences, my focus is on each day as I am living it. If you read my reply post to you on the Fathers Day thread, that is when my belief became even stronger to live for today, not concern myself with "what'if's/might'be's" in the future.

Each hurdle I faced, my focus was on getting closer to my goal each day, not concerned with worry or stress of "what might be" days/werks and years ahead. 

For the last 6-7 weeks I have been dealing with some more health and physical issues. What I thought when it started with an injury, has turned out to be much more. Like in all my past recoveries, I go to my doctors to get to the different sources. So far it's 2 down, and at the very least, 2 more to go.

While I am not happy about my situation, the cause was my desire to live life that is "my type of life" and that included taking risks. Not sure how long it will be before I am able to lace up my hockey ice skates again, but I can tell you this, I have no plans of quitting once I feel I am able to skate again.

I have always lived a moderate life I call frugal, others have called it cheap. I had things I needed, along with many things i just wanted. Doing so, along with working hard manual labor jobs, for the same company for 33 years. I was able to retire at the ripe old age of 52.

Can't say getting older would be harder than I thought it would be, because my focus was on living the present the best way I could. I plan on living whatever years I have left, doing exactly the same thing. To me there is only today, and when during recoveries, doing exactly the same. 

My mom did not like this saying I read decades ago. But it was and is the way I looked at, and have lived my life.

"Man was born to live, not to prepare for life" written by! Beats me.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I think I have almost always known what getting older means. I had parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents who lived well into their late 80's and 90's. 

I can't say I'm fond of it but I do accept it as part of living. Let's face it...no one loves to see deterioration..... but.... it's a sign that I've been given quite a few years so I'm gonna take what I'm given!!!   

Respected Contributor

Re: Getting Old (Aging)

[ Edited ]

This humorous commentary about aging is copied from a birthday card I just received.

<<YOUNG AT HEART.......KINDA OLD EVERYWHERE ELSE!

AGING IS INEVITABLE.......MATURITY IS OPTIONAL.>>

Let's not get carried away in the "maturity" department and try to enjoy getting there.

Super Contributor
She was a hoot!! Loved all her movies!!!
Valued Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Did you expect getting old is all of what it is and what you expected?

~~~~~

HELL NO!    I thought I'd live forever, as I was then, maybe a little slower.

Surprise!  Surprise!

GREAT TOPIC, @Just Bling 

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .