Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting Covid After Vaccination

I don't understand the different efficacy values placed on these vaccines if they don't protect you from getting covid or what they mean at all. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday I think the demands of your doctors are unreasonable.  These injections are experimental, and not FDA approved at this time.  The frail elderly are having problems taking these products.  I would find a new doctor and then give your present doctor the boot.  No doctor should force a product that neither prevents infection, nor stops transmission on anyone.  

Even Disneyworld is saying (just today) that even after you get both shots, you will still need to wear a mask and socially distance yourself from other in their park.  

Honored Contributor

@JanetsGirl wrote:

Quite a few news stories about people -- namely Congresspersons -- getting Covid even after their second dose of vaccine.  The news stories mention that it takes a week or two after the second dose for the vaccine to reach its full effectiveness.  The news stories also state that the vaccines' effectiveness to prevent asymptomatic Covid is uncertain.

Hmmm.  That is not encouraging.  But information worthy to know.

I had read that the new vaccine wasn't designed to prevent Covid, but instead to keep people from getting very sick and have a mild infection.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@henderson   It was approved to be used on an emergency basis.

The vaccine itself, has not gone through evey stage of testing that all other vaccines had to go through.  There are still many unknowns about the vaccine.  The FDA has not given a full approval for the COVID vaccine.  

That's correct!  It hasn't been fully tested and only has been approved for the Covid emergency.  Those who participate are part of a big experiment.

Trusted Contributor

@JanetsGirl  There are many questions.  I'm still on the fence.  

Super Contributor

You can still get covid even after having the vaccine.  The effectiveness is in regards to the % of people that it prevented from having a serious reaction, but doesn't mean you 100% can't get it.  This is why people still need to wear masks!  We need just get the infection rate down plus have vaccinations.  Too many people are ignorant on all of this!

Super Contributor

The vaccine has been rigorously tested and is safe.  The technoloy (mRNA) used in some of the vaccines has been in the works for 10 years and there was past work done on the first SARS.  They did not just start from scratch on development and still went through all the safety steps.  It's SCIENCE!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The paperwork they gave me when I got my shot says "The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is an unapproved vaccine that may prevent COVID-19." and "The duration of protection against COVID-19 is currently unknown."

That's why everyone will still have to wear masks and social distance, even if most people get the shot.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

@noodleann  I agree.  I have the same questions and concerns.  I remember early last year when we were told it would only be two weeks.  

Respected Contributor

I'll take the vaccine as soon as they offer it to me!  My sister had Covid back in April. She was hospitalized for one week, blood clots on the lungs. Thankfully she recovered. She wears her mask, washes and sanitizes hands obsessively. She teaches in a small school in N.J. She was scheduled for minor surgery on Monday. She went for a pre surgery Covid test on Thursday, and tested positive again! She is reinfected.  So far, she has no symptoms at this time. She's flabbergasted, and devastated. Although she had Covid, I guess she was not considered high risk, and was not a priority vaccination case because she doesn't have any underlying health issues. Again, I will take the vaccine as soon as it is available. I don't know about the effects of the vaccine, but I do know this disease has killed 7 people I know personally, 3 in my family, and infected my sister twice. I believe this disease is not going anywhere anytime soon, and I will take my chances with a vaccine; especially knowing reinfection is real.