Honored Contributor

"I cringe every time I hear anyone taking statins".  

@Susan Louise 

You can save 1 cringe concerning me. I have followed blood lipids/food programs relating to lipids, along with another factor many seem to leave out. For me it was/is the most important factor. That would be a thing that nobody, using any program can change. It's called Genetics!

I have lived a healthy and very physically fit life since the late 1960's. I have read books, gone to many Clinics, which were given mostly by recognized world renowned experts in their specific fields.

That would be: Cholesterol/Nutritionists/Exercise Physiologists/Gastroenterologist/Podiatrist, just to name a few. Some clinics were 8 hours, split sessions for lunch.

My relation to CAD had/has absolutely nothing to do with my choice of foods or being grossly overweight or physically unfit, or any underlying disease. Quite the opposite. Some Genetic Predispositions can be lessened, but I know of none that can be 100% eliminated.

Not interested in links because for me it usually is "the same song, different verse".  I try to stay pretty neutral when it comes to food choices people make, but! Not so much when claims are made, by "so called" experts, that by eating or not eating XYZ will prevent or cure everything, even ABC.

As I said in my prior post in this thread, I do not give medical advice, but I do express my opinions, mostly based on my own personal experiences, of which unfortunately, there are many. 

Why? As I said to those in my Cardiac Rehab Classes when asked: "you are thin/a vegetarian/very physically fit, why would you have a heart attack"? Pretty simple and standard answer. " I didn't get to pick my mother"!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Generic Lipitor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut  I read your post and I can only say one thing...

I wish you would just watch the near 2-hr educational documentary Fat Head video. DH and I even bought the DVD to pass on to friends/relatives that don't use the internet/youtube/etc. We also plan on bringing the DVD to our Drs. I have already shared the info about the video to my dentist and he said he was glad he watched it!

If you were my neighbor, I would gladly offer the DVD to you to watch.

So many folks have misunderstandings about so many health issues...that includes even some Drs who insist on doing things the same way and not incorporating new findings for various reasons. Some are content doing things old school and can't be bothered learning new ways to help patients. Others are just plain stubborn...hard-headed my dad and grandpa would say. Still others choose to wear horse blinders.

I am not joking...I have personally known a couple of Drs like them.

I know you are in your 70's. I am in my early 60's and I'm quite upset we were spoon fed a load of bologna about many health issues. I'll just leave it at that.

For those that actually take the time and watch the Fat Head video completely, and are at least in their mid 50's, many of the issues/concerns/facts brought up in the video they will remember from news broadcasts on many health issues from the late 60's on. I was in my teens for some of them and I remember them all!

Regular Contributor
In response to all I take Lessman CoQ10 daily and med dosage is 10 milligrams. My husband has no problem with this med but my sister experienced extreme pain like me. Thanks all for your input
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Could it be that an ongoing joint issue has just gotten worse?  Lipitor is not known for joint problems.

Maybe go back for a reevaluation and different PT?

@Still Raining "Common Lipitor side effects are diarrhea, upset stomach, muscle and joint pain, and changes in some blood tests, according to Pfizer Inc. The drug label also warns of serious side effects such as liver problems and muscle problems that can lead to kidney failure." Quoted from drug watch dot com online. Their information comes from Pfizer. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom in NY wrote:
My triglycerides are very high. Have been using above med and have great joint pain. I have arthritic knees to begin with and with this med in great pain. Doctor said try 3x week instead of daily but still severe pain. Can anyone give me some advice. Thank you

@Mom in NY 

A number of factors can raise triglycerides, or cause very high triglycerides. For example, it tends to be more common in people with:

• Low thyroid levels (hypothyroid) Have you had this checked recently? 
  • Poorly controlled diabetes
  • Kidney disease
  • A genetic predisposition where the body produces an excess amount of triglycerides 
  • Estrogen therapy 

Other things that can raise triglyceride levels include:

• Certain medicines, including some birth control pills, beta blockers, antipsychotics and corticosteroids
  • A diet that is high in carbohydrates, processed or sugary foods
  • Alcohol. Drinking can raise triglycerides 
  • Not exercising, physical inactivity
Honored Contributor

@Mom in NY wrote:
My triglycerides are very high. Have been using above med and have great joint pain. I have arthritic knees to begin with and with this med in great pain. Doctor said try 3x week instead of daily but still severe pain. Can anyone give me some advice. Thank you

@Mom in NY @Lipitor definitely can cause joint pain. Additionally, if you have joint pain in your knees you can become more and more inactive to avoid more pain. The inactivity can cause your triglycerides to go up. At least speak with your pharmacist about other medications before you see your doctor. Armed with more information, you can ask to change medications, although statins as a group are known to have joint pain as a side effect. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise 

Will start with I am 82.  My beliefs in what my body needs to stay healthy and physically fit have changed as my age goes upward.  

What I considered the best foods and exercises, to better my running competitions, and fitness in general have changed. What worked at 40 did not work at 50, and so on.

My overall health is still my concern, but what my fitness allows me to do, is more important to me, than how many years I live. As the old saying goes: "it's not the number of years in my life that have mattered to me, it's the life in how many years that happens to be".

Said on this forum that there is no way I would even suggest to anyone to eat as I do. Follow my exercise routine? Depends on their goals, and at what age they happen to be. 

I have lived through 8 major health events that kill thousands every day. Several of them, according to my treating doctors, were because of my physical fitness, prior to these events.

Another major factor in my living through them was/is, listening to my body and understanding what it was saying to me. Time was the difference in my living or dying.

No way will I underestimate my being a lifelong Optimist, believing I could overcome whichever issue at hand. No poor or why me, just "what do I need to do to move forward". Then once having that information from my doctors and others, I set reasonable goals, and worked hard to achieve them.

Guess my greatest pleasure, though broken bones along the way, was getting back to ice skating. Having spent much of my time from 2002-2016 in and out of the hospital, I could never string together long enough periods to get physically fit enough to even think about skating.

Then at 78 I finally was fit enough to skate, but. I could not even stand up long enough to call it "skating". After breaking a rib and my nose, I decided that if I wanted to continue to recapture my love of skating?

I needed to quit and work on my balance. 12 weeks of Balance Physical Therapy, along with 3 more, months of 30 minutes to an hour of at home balance exercises. At that point, 4 months, I decided to get my skates out again. 

Was better, but not injury free. After many falls and getting up, my skating began to get to a point where I was comfortable with what I could do. Still fell and just 6 weeks ago I fell. Broke 4 ribs and punctured my left lung. 

3 days in the hospital with a chest tube, and then finding out I had Pleural Fluid, keeping my left lung from expanding. It ended up having to be drained out of my back, which ended up being 1.3 liters(about 45oz.) of fluid. 

I have skated several times since, broken ribs and all. Skated last Friday and plan on skating again this Wednesday.

Long post of my more recent life events, and maybe somewhere in this novella, it made sense to you, along with addressing this threads topic. So if you and whoever else reads this far?  

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sann wrote:

I have taken the maximum dosage of generic lipitor (atorvastatin) which is 80 mgm for several years without any side effects. I also have arthritis.

@sann  I recommend watching a video...google the title below:

ARTHRITIS: Is Your Diet Causing It? [Or Making It Worse?]

No.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut   I'm sorry about your falls and having broken ribs, etc! I know you love skating. I did too! 

I'll give you credit for "getting back on the horse after the fall"!  
   When I tore my ACL from the bone going down a black diamond hill skiing and had two surgeries I decided not to ski again. 
    Since my husband passed 17 years ago I'm very careful because I need to walk and drive and there's nobody to help me!

Take care and please be careful skating!   

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers 

Thank you for your positive comments. I am sorry your husband passed. That in itself, even over years, makes your life much harder.

Many of my hockey guys also ski. Some have told me about their ACL or MCL injuries while skiing. Some said it didn't even seem like it was a bad crash, yet they ended up with needing surgery, to repair them.

So many used to tell me "go skiing", you are such a good skater it will be easy for you. I always told them "I have had enough injuries from hockey and running" that have laid me up for weeks, some even months. Ain't no way I am going to venture out and risk injury from something I have no desire to do.

My concern in not getting injured, it is not being able to do things I consider as part of my regular life. Injuries happen, but I am not about going out looking for them learning something new, and has a risk involved.

With all the many health and physical setbacks I have had, none have kept me immobile for a long duration of time. Hard getting around? Oh yeh, but I could get from 1 place to another around the house. And at a further point be able to drive and those things.

I certainly understand why you gave up skiing. Not wanting to be dependent living your life by needing others is very important to you, as it is for me also.

My plan is to keep skating as long as I am still physically able, risking injuries and all. I will know when the time comes for me to quit, and while it will not be easy, I will do what I have to do to remain independent in my life.

My best to you,

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)