Super Contributor

My friend's mother had this surgery about a year ago - home the same day, no problems whatsoever, just slept a lot when she got home. Supposed to watch the high fat foods but she eats what she likes. Good luck! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Had mine out 7 years ago as an outpatient. My DD came from out of town to take care of me and by suppertime she was bored and went back home and I took the dogs out for a walk. If it is a simple removal, there is not much to it. Some discomfort, but not really too much. I only took the next day off work. Seems like the main problem was that it was hard to roll over in bed, that tugging movement. It did not solve my digestive problems, but that is a whole other issue.

Honored Contributor

I had mine done in 1982, a month after my first child was born, and in the hospital several days post-op. Back then, it was a big slice across the belly. Yours will be much easier and much quicker of a recovery. Just remember to take it easy and not overdo it. Follow the doctor's orders and you will be fine.

Contributor

I had a laparoscopic gallbladder removal about three years ago. The surgery took about 20 minutes, and as soon as I woke up all the pain related to the gallbladder was gone (thankfully!). I stayed in the hospital that night, but I could have gone home. I really had no pain related to the incisions, but as other people mentioned, my shoulder hurt for about a week due to the gas they use to inflate your abdomen escaping from your body (when I woke up from the surgery I told the nurse I was having a heart attack and she was like, no, honey, remember we told you about the gas?)

Definitely reintroduce foods slowly and be close to the bathroom when you do eat. No matter what I ate after the surgery, as soon as I ate it, I was running to the bathroom--and I do mean running. That lasted about a week too--and still happens now if I eat the wrong things.

Good luck. It will be over before you know it. Make sure to ask them to do a chest x-ray when the operation is done to make sure that none of the stones escaped during the removal. That can cause complications later. It should be a normal part of the procedure, but make sure to ask because it's included in the cost of the surgery so you should get what you pay for.

Trusted Contributor

Best of luck to you and don't worry! Is really not bad at all. I had mine removed laproscopically (sp) a year ago. I had the best surgeon in the world because it too over 3 hours because of all the scar tissue in there. Lets just say he told me it was " really gross" and had basically been non functioning for a long time . I see him from time to time and we still laugh about it. It was cool for him to be able to operate on me because this was done at a teaching hospital, so residents observed. I was blessed he took the time because another surgeon may have just sliced into me. That only required an overnight stay. Today the only scar I can kind of see, is the bellybutton one. PLEASE take the advice of holding a pillow to your stomach for the pressure, it helps alot when laying down. Also remember not to lift over I think 5 pounds for the length they tell you. About the weight of a gallon of milk they said. He told me he sees too many patients come back with hernias because they rushed it. The surgery helped me so much with the pain I was in, I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you can tolerate the pain meds , take them. Makes it easier I think.

Super Contributor

As most have said, it is generally an easy surgery. I had mine done, of all things, on my birthday two or three years ago. It was outpatient. This was on a Friday and I was at work (with a pillow on my tummy) on Monday. I had no problems directly after, but I have noticed in the last year or so that if I overload my stomach too much, I will start to cramp, and a bathroom better be close and fast. Due to that missing gallbladder? Don't know. You will do fine, Rutheresa!

Contributor

I had gallbladder surgery 14 years ago. I went through the extreme pain for several years because we didn't have health insurance. What did it for me was a bit of an emergency. I went 9 hours with bent over excruciating pain (worse than child labor). I was throwing up and had a fever. I finially decided to go to the emergency room. The gallbladder surgery was a piece of cake. I came home the same day and healed rather quickly with little to no pain. The only thing that I did not like one bit was I couldn't wear any clothing, including undergarments under the surgical gown while they were operating on me. I wasn't sure if this was/is standard procedure but I still didn't like it. I was buck naked under that gown! Yeah. Here's hoping that your surgery goes well, speedy healing.

Trusted Contributor

I ended up in the Er last year and had it taken out laparoscopically.I have a multitude of health issues and a poor healer and I have to say this was not a big deal.Its so much easier when done this way,Went home the next day and other then taking it easy and not lifting or bending had no problems. It took a while for the stomach to settle down so eating was a pain for a bit but now I pretty much eat anything where as I used to get deathly ill.Good luck to you.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Respected Contributor

I had the surgery about ten years ago after spending the night in the ER and then was admitted to the hosp. for surgery.

I had a lot of pain the first week and needed help to get out of bed and to lie down.

I would do it again if I had to because I felt so much better after one or two weeks.

Frequent Contributor

I have a daughter with autism, who is 18, and when she was 12 she had her's out. It took a year for them to find the problem, cause gall bladder issues are not usually in kid. And with her having autism, its hard to find out exactly what is wrong when she cant explain herself that well.

When they found it, she was in surgery the next morning. The worst part for her, was the "getting ready" for it, cause she didnt understand what was happening. But once it was over, she was a different kid! (she had the lazer done) She has a couple of marks on her belly (i think four of them, but they are really tiny now) She still remembers it and we found out thru that, that she is allergic to bandaids! (she would never let me put a bandaid on her before this) And she needed them for her belly.

But the next day she was back to eating the same foods as she always had. And she isnt the best eater. Once in a while meat (like ground beef) makes her bowel movements alittle different, so we try to avoid that for most part. Everything else is fine! And remember she was 12 yrs old, but she did everything the next day. Only thing is i kept her out of gym class for about a week. She never complained that anything hurt, i think she was just so happy to have "that" pain gone! Smiley Happy

The doctor told me that this will run in the family?? Weird thing, is 2 yrs after that, her dad had his gallbladder out! So, maybe that's true? (i still have mine, knock on wood!) LOL

Good luck with it!!