Honored Contributor

Re: Gallbladder Surgery

[ Edited ]

@Catty2 wrote:

I had mine out about 9 years ago.  It was my first surgery and everything went very well.  It was laproscopic surgery and I didn't even need any pain meds afterwards.  The surgeon was excellent. 

I took one pain med when I got home, but didn't need them otherwise.  

Valued Contributor

I had laproscopic removal of my gallbladder 6 years ago and though I went home after several hours, I was in a lot of pain for days.  It hurt so much to get up and out of bed. 

Esteemed Contributor

Went back to work 4 work days after surgery. I worked at a campus and was quite mobile. Looking back, I would have taken a full work week and two weekends just to rest. My digestive system was confused for about 8 months and I carried a change of uns with me for almost a year. I also don't eat meat or a lot of carbs, so that could have something to do with my problem. No other problems. In fact, I'm much healthier. Glad to get the ill-functioning gall bladder removed.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Sorry to be so blunt but you are foolish to wait.

Seek out a surgeon who uses the daVinci robotic machine.

You will be out of the hospital in 2 days, fit as a fiddle.

@Nightowlz

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Nightowlz

I was in and out the same day.  Laparoscopic.  Regular surgeon.  No robot.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Nightowlz

@software LOL!!! Probably so but I hate doctors, hospitals & am a huge needle phobic. I have to be practically dying before I will go see a doctor. As is I only go once per yr for blood test to get my thyroid medication refilled. If I did not take that I would never go to the doctor.

I doubt they have a DaVinci robotic machine around here. 

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Went back to work 4 work days after surgery. I worked at a campus and was quite mobile. Looking back, I would have taken a full work week and two weekends just to rest. My digestive system was confused for about 8 months and I carried a change of uns with me for almost a year. I also don't eat meat or a lot of carbs, so that could have something to do with my problem. No other problems. In fact, I'm much healthier. Glad to get the ill-functioning gall bladder removed.     

@jeanlake Nothing like having to take a change of clothes with you at all times. Sounds like before menopause & never knew if or when I may have a period. I had a box of tampons in the trunk of my car for the longest time. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I had my gall bladder removed about three years ago.  I was sick to my stomach for over a year.  I assumed it was just stress from taking care of my mom and FIL and dealing with all of that.

When I finally mentioned it to the doctor, he told me it sounded like my gall bladder.  He ordered an ultrasound which showed a benign tumor in the duct.  I didn't have stones.  My gall bladder was healthy, except for the tumor. 

He sent me to the surgeon and he suggested before it starts to cause some bigger issues, just remove it. 

It was a very easy recovery.  I was sent home after a few hours.  I took one pain pill and kind of took it easy for a couple of days.  I had no problems eating afterwards, and I didn't have any bathroom problems. 

He did it using a laparoscope.  I didn't even have stitches.  There were three tiny incisions that he taped.  I could get them wet, but he didn't want me pulling them off.  I think they stayed on for 10 days.  He removed them at my follow up appointment. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  It's easy to worry and be afraid, but try to set yourself up for success by thinking positively.  Your outlook will have a big impact on your recovery.

I had my introduction to gallbladder trouble during my first pregnancy.  Little did I know that it's not all that uncommon.  A month after our baby was born, I ended up in the ER, the pain was so bad.  Believe it or not, the brand new intern on duty sent me home, saying it was just my body returning to normal.  Umm, no, it wasn't.  The next day I saw my regular doctor and everything was set in motion - ultrasound, meeting with the surgeon, etc., and I had my operation pretty soon after that.  I was so relieved to have my gallbladder removed, knowing that I'd never have that pain again.  To me, gallbladder pain was worse than labor pains.  When I had it done, they did the slice across my belly so recovery was uncomfortable at first and I was limited on my activities.  I don't think they do it that way anymore.  Today it's a laparscopic procedure and your recovery will be a lot easier.  With the gallbladder, certain foods would set it off, but without it there's nothing I can't eat.  

Good luck.

Regular Contributor

Re: Gallbladder Surgery

[ Edited ]

I just had mine out 2 weeks ago last Thursday. I had a gallbladder attack about a month ago and they did an ultrasound and found gallstones. I never wanted to go through another attack!  I was terrified before surgery but it went perfect. I had it on a Thursday and back to work on Tuesday. I could have worked Monday but i was still a little tired. I only needed pain pills for about two days after. I have 4 little incisions in my abdomen. i had the laproscopic surgery which is how they do most of them now.  My surgeon said I was very close to having another attack, my gb was very inflamed. I understand your fear of surgery but as others have said, gb surgery has come a long way over the years. I have not had to make any diet changes, i did take it slow at first, you dont know how your body will react to certain foods. Lucky me, i can eat the same as before.  Good luck if you decide to have surgery!

edited to add: if you do have the surgery, when you get home walk around as much as possible! it helps so much with the gasses they use during surgery. i was up walking around every hour, and i think it helped me a lot!