Respected Contributor

I had an ultrasound and I have several gallbladder mucosal polyps which are very very small. I've had a HIDA scan and the gall bladder itself works fine. I occasionally get a pain from my gall bladder but nothing severe. My doctor says I can decide whether I want my gall bladder removed. The polyps are small enough that they don't think you have to have it out but some take it out for safety sake?  I know I have to make my own decision but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of that, sorry. I had my gallbladder removed because of gallstones, but don't know anything about polyps.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I have never heard of polyps on the gallbladder either.  I began having trouble with my gallbladder with my first pregnancy, but didn't know what it was.  When my baby was a month old I had an attack that was so bad I ended up in the ER.  That's a story in itself, but suffice it to say I didn't get any help there.  Over the next few days I saw my doc and surgeon and ended up having my gallbladder removed a few days later.  At the time, it was difficult and emotional, but I've never regretted having the surgery and the assurance I'll never have that pain again.

Respected Contributor

I never had that experience but I know that if I were in that situation; I would just have my gallbladder removed.  Why put up with ocassional pain, even if it isn't severe, if you don't have to?  Also, the polyps might be small now but that doesn't mean they won't get bigger and more problematical sometime in the future.   I'd have them taken out in a NY minute.  Nothing for me to decide.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  From my research it seems that polyps in your gall bladder are not very common.  I'm leaning towards having it out just to be safe. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  From my research it seems that polyps in your gall bladder are not very common.  I'm leaning towards having it out just to be safe. 

I think that's a wise decision, I'd do the same thing.  It's something you can easily live without.  The other side of the coin is that you don't know what, or how fast, those polyps can turn into something worse.

Honored Contributor

I had my gallbladder removed back when it was major surgery.  It's so simple now.  The thing is, you never know when you'll have a major attack.  They are extremely painful and could come at a very inconvenient time.  I also ended up in the ER and nobody had to talk me into having it removed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If they're mucus you want to go thru surgery? Just asking. I had gb issues and decided to keepp mine. It was functioning, too so not diseased. It does act up during stressful situations but Gavison works wonders for me.

I did a LOT of reading on the surgery until my eyes bled. It may not solve all your problems and may even create some. You can get dumping of bile directly into your stomach and then into your colon because your gallbladder has been removed.

Respected Contributor

Well, if you don't want it out, that is also a safe route.  I have one. Originally said I should get an ultrasound every 5 yrs just to make sure it didn't change.  About 10 yrs ago they couldn't find it, so I didn't have it checked until last year.  They found it again - weird, but still nothing scary or that warrants surgery.  Gallbladder surgery can be rough and some people have trouble eating any greasy foods after - permanently.  I won't opt for surgery that isn't necessary.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy:  The gallbladder mucosal polyps are actually outgrowths from the gallbladder mucosal wall.