Honored Contributor
I spent 6 hours in ER on Friday for them to investigate chest tightness, which the doctor thought it was a heart issue.
Back to the ER Sunday... six hours of tests and found out the flu test was positive Type B.
I do not think I have ever been diagnosed with flu!
Wondering what other people have experienced.
What can you tell me?
TIA
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

my mom got her flu shot.

she had to wait about five days to be able to get in to see her doctor once the symptoms began.

she was then officially diagnosed with the flu about a week before christmas.

they put her on tamiflu and also an antibiotic for a sinus infection.

they also sent her for a chest xray to rule out pneumonia.

she is JUST starting to feel like herself again.

she had some coughing, a fever as high as 102, very achy all over, little appetite, very tired. she slept as much as possible.

hope you feel better soon @LTT1!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

If you've been diagnosed within 24-48 hours of the onset of symptoms, you can get one of the new flu medications. I used Tamiflu a few years ago and it was a near miracle and greatly decreased the time it took to recover.

The last time I'd had the flu before that was in the 1990s and I felt tired and run down for at least a month - weeks after the other symptoms were gone.

If you haven't gotten a flu shot this year, my doctor advised I get one even after I got the flu because it covers two strains and if you get one, you can also get another. No one needs that!

I usually get a flu shot every year. The year I needed Tamiflu was the rare occasion I missed one and it didn't pay.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 I hope you and @sunshine45's Mom feel much better real soon!

I've never had the flu (knock on wood!), but I'm sure glad I haven't.

I did have my flu shot this year, but as @sunshine45 said, so had her Mom when she came down with it, so my fingers are crossed!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

Thank you for your reply!

I'm glad your mom is feeling better❤️
I did have the flu shot in October

Mine feels like a super serious sinus infection and they did not rx an antibiotic (but I'm thinking I may need one)

Many people probably would not go to ER twice in one weekend, but I did because each time I went was on my PCPs insistence.

Wow they sure ran lots of tests 

xrays were done

5 meds including an inhaler

But I wish they had run the flu test on Friday instead of having to find it Sunday.

Your poor mom! 
That is no way to spend Christmas 🎄 

Honored Contributor

I have not had the flu since 2004, I always got the vaccine, but still got the flu when I worked. I was never down for more than 5 days though, but I was young then, the flu for the elderly is a different ball game.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 

I feel you as far as getting older being a factor

It seems that sometime in my 60's I'm understanding about how immunity changes as we get older.

I think about how I never got the flu in my years of teaching...teens - runny noses and all!

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 

No experience with this, but I did want to send you good vibes for a speedy recovery.Cat Happy

Bunny Get Well Soon

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@blackhole99 

It seems that sometime in my 60's I'm understanding about how immunity changes as we get older.

I think about how I never got the flu in my years of teaching...teens - runny noses and all!

@LTT1 

That's quite an accomplishment, poor teachers get exposed to so many germs from students.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@blackhole99 

@LTT1  Teaching high school math was a second career for my husband who taught until he was 73 and never got the flu in 25 years.My husband is 77 now and I hope he doesn't get it, he goes in to sub. 2 days a week.