Trusted Contributor

I got a Fit Bit - and according to the count on it,  this morning I've walked a total of '''14'' steps while sitting in my recliner typing on my laptop.  I just don't get the hype about them - seems pretty inaccurate  to me.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda You are kidding?  Fourteen steps?  In the face of the thousands you are supposed to get day, it is statistically insignificant.  

Respected Contributor

I get between 20,000-25,000 a day depending upon my activity level. Of course I bust my butt to get those numbers. Not sure if you understand how this works. They recommend getting 10,000 steps a day. If you are physically able try to move a bt more. You will be surprised how those steps mount up. BTW I am not a youngster either. I am 70.

Honored Contributor

When I fell for the fit bit hype and got one----my wrist, and arm were logging in the many hundreds of "steps" even early in the a.m. I then put it around my ankle, just on a hunch-----and my totals were way under the 10,000 step goal even being as active as I am----you just wave your arm around and get tons of steps and not move anything else. Kind of a rip off. 

Trusted Contributor

My SIL gets most of her "steps" while playing cards.  I have a Fitbit, but find that a pedometer is more accurate to count actual steps.  I don't always move my arms while doing daily activities.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like there are some that have faith in the Fit Bit - but I'm thinking if I stay in my recliner a few hours on my laptop, the F.B. will show that I've done a couple of thousand of steps by the end of the day...ho hum...

Honored Contributor

My husband accumulated thousands of steps on the riding lawn mower. I got a $12 pedometer that I wear on my wrist. It's been very accurate in helping me reach 10,000 steps a day (yes, I actually counted a walk around the park and compared the totals).

Honored Contributor

@sarahpandalol   you must have moved a bit when you thought you'd been perfectly still.  

Although I don't follow that 10,000 steps a day which was some advertising gimmick started years ago, I do think if you can you want to move a bit more!

BTW -  I don't own a fitbit, but I do occasionally take my phone on my walks -  and you're right, they give us an approximation of our steps, nothing a committed athlete probably wants to know.  I say that because even on 2 consecutive days on which I walk the same path, I get 2 different numbers quite often.  And the percentage of differences can be minuscule or significant.

I pretty much ignore what it tells me -   by now I know how long and far to walk to make me feel good and to give me the blood test results I want as long as I also think before I eat!   I'm using advice from my doctors just as I do with the current medical crisis although I do look at what others say and check in with those advisers as I feel the need.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Fit Bit counting...ugh

[ Edited ]

There are inaccuracies, true.  I can particularly understand why a riding mower would generate so many "steps" with all the bouncing around.

In the grand scheme of things, however, my Fitbit motivates me to get up off my butt and move more.  Whether it pinpoints the exact number of steps or not, it's a win for me to strive to get to 10,000 steps a day because it nudges me to walk more and to get up and move more during my sedentary job.

It also encourages me to get aerobic activity in a few times a week, because I can see that workout the next day and feel proud about it.  

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

I got a Fit Bit - and according to the count on it,  this morning I've walked a total of '''14'' steps while sitting in my recliner typing on my laptop.  I just don't get the hype about them - seems pretty inaccurate  to me.

if you have it on your wrist it's sensing your had moving probably