Respected Contributor

Fee to use MYCHART beginning

Lisa Schencker, Chicago Tribune
Mon, November 28, 2022, 3:15 AM

Patients who ask for their doctors’ help through online portals might soon notice something new: fees for their physicians’ online advice.

A growing number of health systems across the country are now charging for some types of messages sent through online patient portals, such as MyChart, with fees often around $35 or less. It’s a trend that’s sparking mixed reactions, with some saying it seems only fair, while others see it as a cash grab.

In the Chicago area, NorthShore University HealthSystem began billing for some types of messages sent over its patient portal, NorthShoreConnect, earlier this month. It joined Northwestern Medicine and Lurie Children’s Hospital in the practice. Nationally, the Cleveland Clinic generated headlines this month when it announced it would start billing for some communications. UCSF Health in California also charges for some messages.

Respected Contributor

Re: Fee to use MYCHART beginning

[ Edited ]

I won't be paying for MyChart or the patient portal at my dr's.  Perhaps we should go back to good old free phone calls.  Them contacting us with any info falls under "the price of doing business" IMO.

Valued Contributor

@granddi 

I have mixed feelings about this.  

No way should there be a fee if a patient is asking a follow up question after a visit,  or medication advice.

However, I knew someone who did pay for concierge medical care and she called him almost daily with some of the silliest questions.  I felt sorry for the doctor no matter how much she paid for it.

Where I go, no matter what i call about, they make me come in and see the doctor anyway.   That's one reason I'm not even on their portal.

Respected Contributor

I have MyChart & if I'm charged for it I'll delete it, I set it up as an a  courtesy to my Dr's office...I'm good with don't contact me, I'll contact you.

Respected Contributor

I'm guessing that the majority of patients will delete their My Chart account if it becomes a pay for use service. I use mine primarily to refill meds and to fill out surveys that my docs want, prior to appointments. 
I will not pay for that. Will go back to calling the office about meds. And filling out the surveys in the office when I get there. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I first saw a fee with my cardiologist about two years ago in my portal. It was attached to a follow up phone call in regards to a review of an echocardiogram. I used the portal to request a reply. Insurance paid it in full. 

Since my doctor took time out of his very busy schedule, I was fine with him charging for his time.

Respected Contributor

I use My Chart and so far haven't noticed any fee. I don't ask anyone questions using My Chart, I just get lab and scan results. Don't know if that would be billed or not.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think it will depend on how much research or chart review the doctor has to do to respond. If someone is using MyCHART in place of a visit and the doctor spends time reviewing notes, lab reports etc and takes 30 minutes.  Of course there should be a charge.  But if a patient as a quick question as a follow up to a recent visit, there should be no charge. 

Honored Contributor

Pi

@FranandZoe wrote:

I won't be paying for MyChart or the patient portal at my dr's. Perhaps we should go back to good old free phone calls. Them contacting us with any info falls under "the price of doing business" IMO.

And let's go back to outhouses and butter churns and leeches....lol

Honored Contributor

Never heard of MyChart.  I guess if you're asking for the Dr.'s advice on something, that could be considered the same as an office visit.  I never contact my Dr. via the portal.  I ask for prescription renewal on my gynecologist's portal.  I call my Primary Care Physician's office for new scripts.  He doesn't have a portal, but does have a way to reach him online.  Never used it. If I have a medical issue I call the office.