Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@OKPrincess  @qualitygal   If your husbands still need readers, were they offered lens at the same time as the cataract surgery?  I'm just wondering why someone opts for the lens implant at the same time of the cataract surgery and others don't? Maybe more risky? Appreciate any insight on this subject.

@phoenixbrd   I think maybe you don't quite understand what cataract surgery is.  I've had it done.  They can never just remove the cataract.  They always have to completely remove your natural lens along with the cataract because the cataract is attached to it.  So, a replacement lens is always inserted.

The difference is in what type of lens you choose.  The standard lenses are pretty much a fixed focus......usually for far vision, so you will need readers with those.  With my surgery, I opted for the premium multi-focal lenses so I wouldn't need any glasses at all.  They work very much like a natural lens with good vision.  That option, however, cost me $3,000 per eye.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde   Thank you so much for the clarification.  I was told the multi-focus lens is a higher risk surgery than the cataract so I assumed there was just a removal of the cataract rather than a lens replacement.  It makes me feel more confident regarding this surgery knowing that so many on the board have had successful outcomes.  Appreciate your input.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd  "I was told the multi-focus lens is a higher risk surgery than the cataract so I assumed there was just a removal of the cataract rather than a lens replacement."

Gee I am wonder who told you that.  As another poster explained when the cataract removal surgery takes place a lens is placed while you still under sedation.

The type of lens available is what differs.  This decision has to be made before surgery and is discussed with the patient prior.  Whether basic or premium multi focal both are prescription.

In my situation I would have loved to have the multi focal lens, but because of previous eye surgeries I was not a candidate.  With the standard lens implants my distance vision is now 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.  I still must wear readers.  If I was able to get the multi-focus lens I may not have needed to wear readers.

Just a note:  Not all people have their cataracts removed consecutively.  (Meaning one eye done, then the other eye two weeks later.)  I had my worst eye done, then two years later the other eye was done.  My surgeon favored this practice and I agreed with her.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda, this is a question you should ask your eye doctor.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@phoenixbrd  "I was told the multi-focus lens is a higher risk surgery than the cataract so I assumed there was just a removal of the cataract rather than a lens replacement."

Gee I am wonder who told you that.  As another poster explained when the cataract removal surgery takes place a lens is placed while you still under sedation.

The type of lens available is what differs.  This decision has to be made before surgery and is discussed with the patient prior.  Whether basic or premium multi focal both are prescription.

In my situation I would have loved to have the multi focal lens, but because of previous eye surgeries I was not a candidate.  With the standard lens implants my distance vision is now 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.  I still must wear readers.  If I was able to get the multi-focus lens I may not have needed to wear readers.

Just a note:  Not all people have their cataracts removed consecutively.  (Meaning one eye done, then the other eye two weeks later.)  I had my worst eye done, then two years later the other eye was done.  My surgeon favored this practice and I agreed with her.

I had a cataract removed from my right eye around 10 years ago.  My left eye never had any surgery.

Honored Contributor

If you see fine without them you don't need them. You should be able to tell if you have issues reading seeing far or up close.

My vision is still 20/20 but I have a slight astigmatism. My doctor told me it was not enough to warrant the price of glasses.

I don't use reading glasses as I don't need them yet. I'm 61.

I have had 2 eye doctors tell me I needed glasses when I did not.

They are in business to make money & some of them are crooks.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Two years?  That's very unusual.  My surgeon does the surgery two days apart.  He said it was medicare that made them wait two weeks, but that's not the case anymore.  I had mine done almost 3 months ago, and I don't think I could have adapted to the lousy vision I had for any longer than 2 days.  One eye is seeing good and the other can't see across the room.  Your eyeglasses don't work any more. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd   I know in the paperwork we filled out prior to seeing the eye doctor, they had questions on the degree to which you would want to have to use glasses if necessary.   We both said, glasses would be fine (bifocals.)  

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@OKPrincess  @qualitygal   If your husbands still need readers, were they offered lens at the same time as the cataract surgery?  I'm just wondering why someone opts for the lens implant at the same time of the cataract surgery and others don't? Maybe more risky? Appreciate any insight on this subject.

@phoenixbrd   I think maybe you don't quite understand what cataract surgery is.  I've had it done.  They can never just remove the cataract.  They always have to completely remove your natural lens along with the cataract because the cataract is attached to it.  So, a replacement lens is always inserted.

The difference is in what type of lens you choose.  The standard lenses are pretty much a fixed focus......usually for far vision, so you will need readers with those.  With my surgery, I opted for the premium multi-focal lenses so I wouldn't need any glasses at all.  They work very much like a natural lens with good vision.  That option, however, cost me $3,000 per eye.

That is the good answer.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@phoenixbrd   I know in the paperwork we filled out prior to seeing the eye doctor, they had questions on the degree to which you would want to have to use glasses if necessary.   We both said, glasses would be fine (bifocals.)  

They ask those questions so that they know whether to set your vision for near or far distance.  What are your hobbies, what do you do most of the time.  I know most people just automatically have their vision set for far distance and then use readers.  I did just the opposite and had mine set for near.  I've been so nearsighted all my life that I'm used to wearing glasses for distance.  If I had set them for distance, it would have turned my world upside down.  I'd have to reverse everything I did.  But I found afterward that I can now see pretty good for far distance anyway.  I need a little correction for driving and a little for reading.  I don't neeed any glasses for around the house.  I didn't get the multi focus lens, but I did get a toric lens to correct astigmatism.