Esteemed Contributor

been using arificial tears for over 20 yrs with no issues.   Last month I laughed really , really hard ,  the kind of laugh that is so hard no sound comes out if you know what I mean 😂And I felt this intense burning in my eye towards the inner area near nose white of my eye.   I even went to look in the mirror thinking I must have burst a blood vessel but no it looked and still looks normal After that my eye felt dry , burning ,  sensitive and uncomfortable and still does ,but not as bad .  I decided I must need a more lubricant eye drop so purchased Thera tears which worked great for my symptoms ,  but the taste in my mouth , throat and even in my stomach is terrible .  It is aggravating my gerd as well .  So I remembered to press in the inner tear duct for a minute so the drops wouldn't go into my nasal passage and down my throat which I never had a problem with in all these years with tears, nose drops, or even with the drops my opthamoligist puts in my eyes.  Back on the Refresh brand artificial tears now .

I'm lost as to what is now causing this.   It would seem the Thera tears caused it ,  but that seems so strange.    I spoke to my opthamoligist yesterday and said he will be happy to squeeze me in on Tuesday and check this out  ,wont be able to see me on Monday he's does surgeries on Mondays .   The whole thing is very strange to come about through laughing ,  I've heard a blood vessel can happen from vomiting or coughing very hard,  which neither of those ever caused me an issue.     This taste I'm my mouth is really bothering me along with it aggravating my reflux. Have used mouth wash, gargled with salt water,  nothing works .   

Has as anyone ever experienced an issue with artificial tears or from laughing which I do know sounds crazy but happened ?!

Honored Contributor

Re: Eye drops causing problems

@Kitty Galore,

These are the side effects listed for Thera tears-

Common side effects may include:
  • mild eye burning or irritation;
  • itching or redness of your eyes;
  • watery eyes;
  • blurred vision; or.
  • unpleasant taste in your mouth.

I remember my mother's opthamologist telling her to get Systane. It is usually recommended by eye drs. Or to get one that is also  preservative free. The chemicals or thickeners can irritate the eyes.

I know Systane is more expensive so I think if you find one with the same ingredients, that should be ok too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

When my eyes become red and itchy, I switched to Lumify ( available at Walmart also ) eye drops.  No burning or watery eyes....within a minute the redness is gone for the whole day.

I tried Restylane and Systane samples from the eye doctors office, but the Lumify works wonders.  I keep a backup at all times and places.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I suffer from corneal errosions.  My eyelids stick to my cornea at night and upon waking they can shear the cornea and cause painful abrasions.  I keep a bottle of Systane Preservative Free eye drops next to my bed and will put a drop or two in each eye when I wake up.

Trusted Contributor

@Reever I used to have the same problem -- it was so painful and would generally leave me with blurry vision until the next day. Thankfully I started using Xiidra drops and no longer have a problem.