Honored Contributor

We always go to opthomologist, for many years now. I have had 2 cat surgeries and my DH wears glasses, and gets migraines. My parents had glaucoma, they also check for that in ways an optomotrist does not. 

Respected Contributor

I have seen an Ophthalmologist for many years because I have Thyroid nodules, pituitary Tumors (that could blind me), and Diabetes. My insurance has always covered me seeing an Ophthalmologist because of these conditions. Lately, I go every 6 months for a check-up. 

Honored Contributor

In my area, opthalmologists only see candidates for surgery and people with eye diseases.  For routine exams, patients are seen by optometrists.  I go to a clinic where I have access to both as needed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Just a note that optometrists are not medical doctors, but opthomologists are medical doctors.  Optometrists only need to have attended optometry school to practice and generally work in private practice. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors — which requires going to medical school and completing a residency — who perform eye surgery and inpatient medical procedures to treat chronic and immediate issues.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Contributor

deeva:  If your friend has not yet become blind from glaucoma, please tell her to make an appt. with an opthamalogist.  He will examine her eyes and give her a prscription for Combigan.  With glaucoma, excess fluid puts excess pressure on the optic nerve and that continuous pressure will cause your friend to lose her sight.  With the Rx for Combigan, a drop in each eye, 12 hours apart,,twice a day, will prevent her from losing her sight,  Please, please... tell her.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

In my area, opthalmologists only see candidates for surgery and people with eye diseases.  For routine exams, patients are seen by optometrists.  I go to a clinic where I have access to both as needed.

@Kachina624  correct. Last week my brother called an opthalmologist for an appointment and they asked if he had already seen an optometrist. So now he has an appointment with an optometrist and I hope he does not need to see an opthalmologist.

Honored Contributor

I think anyone over 55 absolutely should see an eye DR.  for an initial exam, then every year or year or two to be sure no issues are cropping up.

Where you get glasses is a whole other deal.  We get yearly exams and prescriptions from the DR. one.  Who is there and has background on us in case we have an eye issue crop up and we could get in immediately.  Something to think about. 

Honored Contributor

Our regular eye exams are done by an optometrist who will then write the prescription for our lenses.  If there is something beyond that, like an injury to the eye or disease, a referral to an ophthalmologist would be in order.  

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50, usually an optometrist is your first choice but if you know that you have glaucoma or other hereditary issue, go to an ophthalmologist on your own.  The glaucoma test at the optometrist office is not intensive enough.  You need the tests that only an ophthalmologist can give.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)