Trusted Contributor

I carry an Epi Pen and while I never eat out even without (or before) the pandemic, I was told by my doctor today to be extra careful because supply is really limited.

Anyone else carry an Epi Pen and if so, what have you heard?

Respected Contributor

I am not sure it there is currently a shortage of Epi Pens. There was in 2018 and 2019. My granddaughter has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy. We have Auvi Q pens for her. These devices talk you through administering the drug. This is good for me because I am sure that I would be in a panic mode if she ever had a reaction. They are expensive. My daughter gets them for me, her other grandparents and her school. 

I hope you can get what you need. You should not be without this medication ever. 

Trusted Contributor

@50Mickey 

Thank You for your response. I get mine free via DoD. My husband is retired from the U.S. Army.

I’m only concerned because my doctor said that I have to take extra precautions because manufacturers.

I’ve only had to use my Epi twice since ’93, but I get so worried when I hear about all the ‘other’ shortages going on right now.

Honored Contributor

@Malcontent 

Teacher daughter carries a epi pen due to severe asthma and allergies, and for the last 2 years she had to carry pens past their expiration date before the pharmacy could supply her with a new one.   

Trusted Contributor

Re: Epi Pen shortage

[ Edited ]

Currently, there are no shortages of the generic. 

Honored Contributor
I haven't been to the doctor lately but going day after tomorrow. I cannot "quote" you because it is not working. This system is older than my dishwasher.
Trusted Contributor

@RedTop 

My doctor did tell me that my Pens are still good past ‘expiration’, however, I’m a worry wart.

BTW: Bless your daughter for being a teacher. I can’t imagine having that much patience to be with a room full of all those kids all day long. lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Epi Pens have been scarce and  expensive for several years, long before Covid.   My brother carries one.  He has multiple allergies but it's been years since he had to use his.  He's super careful.  They can be used 3 months past the expiration date.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Malcontent @Milan, the manufacturer, does have a shortage and the drug was placed on the FDA's shortage list in May. 

EpiPen® Auto-Injector and Epinephrine Injector and the USP Auto-Injector
are currently in shortage.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D 

Thank You!

My doctor was probably not trying to scare me while trying to warn me.