Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Do you take any supplements that help your eczema (vitamin, mineral, herbal, food, etc.)?  I know that staying hydrated is considered essential, but I was wondering if anyone had any other tips.

Topical treatments would be of interest to me as well.

I'm also wondering if anything in my diet could be aggravating it.  Have you found that cutting out certain foods has helped with your eczema?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!  Heart

When I cheat on my diet, I usually do it with ice cream or pizza. Both give me an eczema like rash. I was tested for food allergies and that came up +4.

I also use Exederm a sensitive skin line of creams. I found it in the baby section of CVS. I use the Baby Bath instead of shower gels...

Good luck with everything....Heart

Thanks, @Trinity11.  

That's interesting about the ice cream and pizza.  Did you mean it was the dairy from both of those things that you are allergic to?  Pizza is one of my biggest weaknesses.  In fact, I have a bit of cystic acne right now, and I think that's why.  Whenever I eat or drink dairy that isn't organic, I pay for it with the return of my cystic acne.  I think it's because of the growth hormones added to most dairy products in this country.  

I would like to go back to an all-organic diet, because I think all the nasty stuff I've been eating is probably not helping my health problems.  For awhile I was eating an all-organic, mostly raw, vegan diet.  I don't have the funds, the energy or the willpower for that right now.  Hopefully soon.

Exederm I will have to look up.  We have one CVS in the area, and it is not close to my home, but maybe someplace else carries it, or I'll order it on Amazon when I'm ready to make another purchase through them.

Thank you for the suggestions!!

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

Do you follow a gluten free diet?

@lolakimono

No.  It's so hard when you're a squirrel who loves pizza.  

Image result for squirrel eating pizza

I don't know how to stop myself.

Contributor

My husband has eczema and tried Chelated Zinc and its worked very well for him.  He hasn't had a flare-up in months since he started taking it.  We got the Zinc info from an eczema suffers website.  So glad we tried it!  Zinc suports the immune system and eczema is associated with auto-immune problems so makes sense that it helped.  Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Re: Eczema Help?

[ Edited ]

My daughter has severe eczema. She went to a dermatologist a few years ago. Everything he tried failed. She went to a different one and was given a prescription for Elidel. It has worked great. She used it twice a day for 3 weeks, then once a day for a week. Now she only uses it when she sees a spot starting and it gets rid of it immediately. It is not a steroid, but rather an immunosuppressant. It is expensive, but a little goes a long way. It is a topical cream.  (Edited to add it is topical.)

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Esteemed Contributor

@yasushi wrote:

My husband has eczema and tried Chelated Zinc and its worked very well for him.  He hasn't had a flare-up in months since he started taking it.  We got the Zinc info from an eczema suffers website.  So glad we tried it!  Zinc suports the immune system and eczema is associated with auto-immune problems so makes sense that it helped.  Good luck!

@yasushi

Thank you!!  I will definitely look into this.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

My daughter has severe eczema. She went to a dermatologist a few years ago. Everything he tried failed. She went to a different one and was given a prescription for Elidel. It has worked great. She used it twice a day for 3 weeks, then once a day for a week. Now she only uses it when she sees a spot starting and it gets rid of it immediately. It is not a steroid, but rather an immunosuppressant. It is expensive, but a little goes a long way. It is a topical cream.  (Edited to add it is topical.)

@CatLoverDogsToo

Thanks!!

I will have to keep that in mind.  I guess it's going to depend on how bad this gets.  I don't want the expense, but if it gets really bad...    :-(

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Do you take any supplements that help your eczema (vitamin, mineral, herbal, food, etc.)?  I know that staying hydrated is considered essential, but I was wondering if anyone had any other tips.

I'm also wondering if anything in my diet could be aggravating it.  Have you found that cutting out certain foods has helped with your eczema?

When I cheat on my diet, I usually do it with ice cream or pizza. Both give me an eczema like rash. I was tested for food allergies and that came up +4.

I also use Exederm a sensitive skin line of creams. I found it in the baby section of CVS. I use the Baby Bath instead of shower gels...

Thanks, @Trinity11.  

That's interesting about the ice cream and pizza.  Did you mean it was the dairy from both of those things that you are allergic to?  Pizza is one of my biggest weaknesses.  In fact, I have a bit of cystic acne right now, and I think that's why.  Whenever I eat or drink dairy that isn't organic, I pay for it with the return of my cystic acne.  I think it's because of the growth hormones added to most dairy products in this country.  

I would like to go back to an all-organic diet, because I think all the nasty stuff I've been eating is probably not helping my health problems.  For awhile I was eating an all-organic, mostly raw, vegan diet.  I don't have the funds, the energy or the willpower for that right now.  Hopefully soon.

Exederm I will have to look up.  We have one CVS in the area, and it is not close to my home, but maybe someplace else carries it, or I'll order it on Amazon when I'm ready to make another purchase through them.

@mistriTsquirrel Yes, dairy. I love the taste but my skin always reacts.

Don't be too hard on yourself regarding diet. Just concentrate on getting well. You have a lot on your plate right now and although you may not see it in yourself I think you have remarkable strength of character with all life has dealt you... Hang in there. I think your posts in the other forum exhibit someone that is sensitive, kind and you have a great sense of humor. You're a survivor and you'll get through this...

Edited to add...hope I am not over-stepping but I have read your posts over the years and you are a very strong individual with a very caring demeanor. I wish you only the best in life.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Thanks, @Trinity11.  

@mistriTsquirrel Yes, dairy. I love the taste but my skin always reacts.

Don't be too hard on yourself regarding diet. Just concentrate on getting well. You have a lot on your plate right now and although you may not see it in yourself I think you have remarkable strength of character with all life has dealt you... Hang in there. I think your posts in the other forum exhibit someone that is sensitive, kind and you have a great sense of humor. You're a survivor and you'll get through this...

Edited to add...hope I am not over-stepping but I have read your posts over the years and you are a very strong individual with a very caring demeanor. I wish you only the best in life.

Thank you so much, @Trinity11.  Heart   You're makin' me tear up.  Smiley Happy

Right now I'm weaning off of Cymbalta (generic).  It involves taking the capsules apart and counting the little tablets inside.  I've only just begun, so I don't know how sick I'm going to get, but I have to do it to start on a new med and hopefully feel better.  I'm already experiencing some nausea after taking my reduced dose (probably from breaking the seal on the capsule and putting it back together; I ordered some empty gelatin capsules that should be here tomorrow, and maybe that will work better).  I'm only on my second reduced dose, so I'm not sick yet, but expect to feel worse within the next day or two.  Hopefully it won't be too bad.  Then I'll have to get on a new med, which will probably make me feel sick for awhile as well.  If the new med works, I'm hoping I can be functional within a few months.  That would be ideal, anyway.

I definitely cannot worry too much about dietary restrictions if the stomach upset gets worse...I'll just have to eat whatever I think I can keep down.  (Ensure and Gatorade, probably.)  I figured it would be good to get some ideas for the eczema though. I can always make note of the ideas and make use of them when I'm able.  A cream is a great idea for me right now, as I can order it from bed!!

Then one day I can tackle the bad diet...

Image result for squirrel eating cupcake

Thank you for your kindness and words of encouragement, Trinity.  It means a lot to me that you said them. Heart

Respected Contributor

milk was causing my grandsons eczema

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fourpaws56 wrote:

milk was causing my grandsons eczema

@fourpaws56

Did he have a confirmed allergy, or was it just process of elimination to find out that milk was what was causing it?

I mentioned upthread that I get skin problems when the dairy isn't organic, but Trinity said she has an allergy.