Super Contributor

HELP!  My grandson, who is 6 months old developed eczema on his little face.  Doctor has been giving us a steriod cream, and it isn't doing much.

Any suggestions on what to do to clear it up?  It kind of gets better/worse depending on the day.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: ECZEMA IN BABIES

[ Edited ]

Don't use a steroid cream. I have been dealing dry places on my face/scalp but not sure what it is. I did research eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis etc. Mine does not itch?

I did read that all doctors will prescribe a steroid cream which will only make it worse. If I were you I would do some research so you can try products that will work for him. I would start with Aveeno baby eczema collection.

I did find they make a non-steroidal cream called Eucrisa but I don't know anything about it.

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick 

When my DD was a baby and my youngest son who was a baby had eczema and the doctor gave a prescription for Hydracortisone 1% cream. Now this was many years ago and I will say it took some time for it to settle down. They are grown adults now and still get a flare up every now and then. If it seems to be getting worse the Doctor should be made aware of it. I know it's a tough thing, but I hope he gets better soon. Maybe they have come out with something new since those days. 

@qvc chick wrote:

HELP!  My grandson, who is 6 months old developed eczema on his little face.  Doctor has been giving us a steriod cream, and it isn't doing much.

Any suggestions on what to do to clear it up?  It kind of gets better/worse depending on the day.

Thanks

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick I would take him to a dermatologist. Be sure to have a list of the medications that have been used to treat thus far. Write a list or script of questions and hand it to the dermatologist. That is something I started years ago at the vet's office. A squirming puppy or a crying baby causes one to forget important facts and questions. Be sure to ask what product to use to cleanse baby's hair and skin.

Laundry detergent can cause problems.  I only purchase fragrance free, dye free products.Those of us with sensitive skin have to be extra careful. Allergies can be a culprit whether food or airborne. I wish you well in finding the cause and the cure.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call around to naturopaths, accupuncturists and the like in your area and ask if they've helped with this and/or who they might suggest can. Go to someone that treats the body as a whole.

Honored Contributor

I was told to bathe my youngest daughter with Neutragena bar soap, her clothes and  bedding as well as ours were washed in Rinso detergent and rinsed twice, and no lotion was to be rubbed on her body.  

I was not to handle her with lotion on my hands, and be aware that she would react to whatever was on the skin and clothing of anyone who held her.   It was a major problem between 2-8 months old.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick 

Use  tepid bath water. Very warm water can make it worse.  My Grandson has a  faint red spot and we have been using  Aveeno eczema cream . We are careful abt the bath water temperature. THe pediatrician says  it may eventually go away , She does plan to take him to a dermatologist , just in case it does not go away. We have not used any steroids . nor hydrocortisone . We use free & clear laundry detergent detergent . We di not use ant fabric softener or anything with fragrance. 

Trusted Contributor

Vanicream is another line that is fragrance free and gentle.  They have a baby wash and a baby cream.

Trusted Contributor

Your grandson could have allergies to any number of things, including food, things that touch his skin, etc. 

I recommend he see a dermatologist.  I've had eczema since I was 6 weeks old.  Miserable.  They do have better treatment for it nowadays.  But the key is to find out what he is allergic to and avoid it at all cost.

Regular Contributor

When I was a baby and had eczema, my mother had to wash all my clothing in Downy Snow and rinse twice.