Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone experience shoulder pain(both) and pain down the front of both arms?

On 9/22/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 9/22/2014 adelle38 said:

Could something be going on with your spinal column or neck such as a pinched nerve? If it were me, my first stop would be my chiropractor because I know he handles any pain issues best for me. Sometimes doctors discard mention of aches and pains in anyone over 50. If you know a good chiropractor or neurologist, they would be most likely to diagnose your problem.

I really need a good massage I think. I do not really believe in chiropractors.

I don't believe in all chiropractors but I do know mine really helped me with shoulder pain I'd had for decades and after I was in an accident. It's a matter of finding the right one, but that's not easy.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone experience shoulder pain(both) and pain down the front of both arms?

What you describe sounds like what I was experiencing a couple of years ago. My husband also had it but in just one arm and a friend too. I had it in both shoulders. It hurt terribly at night, just ached in the shoulder and down the front of the arm to the elbow area. Making the bed was excruciating. My husband got a steroid shot to the shoulder and it really did little. I chose to take it easy on myself. Although it is impossible to not use your arms, I did stop doing exercises that strained the shoulder at all. Antiinflammatories like aspirin or advil may help also. It took a long time, but eventually it went away. I think it was tendonitis. Strain can set it off, but resting the joint works. It just takes weeks.

Super Contributor

On 9/22/2014 KarDi said:

What you describe sounds like what I was experiencing a couple of years ago. My husband also had it but in just one arm and a friend too. I had it in both shoulders. It hurt terribly at night, just ached in the shoulder and down the front of the arm to the elbow area. Making the bed was excruciating. My husband got a steroid shot to the shoulder and it really did little. I chose to take it easy on myself. Although it is impossible to not use your arms, I did stop doing exercises that strained the shoulder at all. Antiinflammatories like aspirin or advil may help also. It took a long time, but eventually it went away. I think it was tendonitis. Strain can set it off, but resting the joint works. It just takes weeks.

Thanks! I hope it is some sort of temporary thing. I was always so thankful that my shoulders felt so good, when every other joint in my body is a mess....then this flare up!
Trusted Contributor

Something similar happened to me in a fall in 2010, except only in my right shoulder/arm -- at first. Ended up in physical therapy for months, which was only partially effective, then finally a cortisone shot did the trick and I regained most of my range of motion.

Last year -- no idea what the cause was -- I started having severe pain in my upper left arm. Finally got so bad I was afraid it was my heart and I ended up in a hospital clinical decision unit for a weekend while they ran a bunch of tests. Wasn't my heart.

Long story short, I had surgery on my left shoulder September 4 (cortisone shot didn't fix it this time). In post-op physical therapy now. Could have been the same fall that caused it -- who knows?

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Regular Contributor

I'm sure your ortho doctor will get to the bottom of it. You will need your arms, as you know from yourTKR'S, to do your hip pt. Maybe call him before the surgery. I've had both arm pain from the neck and also from both rotator cuffs being torn. Good luck.
Honored Contributor

Yes, your doc should know about this right now, prior to your next surgery.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Haven't read the responses, but could this be a result of your recent fall? Thinking specifically of whiplash and jam injuries to both arms, which can affect your shoulders.

~R

Honored Contributor

Yes........but I lift weights, and expect pain

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

On 9/22/2014 sfnative said:

Haven't read the responses, but could this a result of your recent fall? Thinking specifically of whiplash and jam injuries to both arms, which can affect your shoulders.

~R

Was going on prior to stumble...
Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 gazelle77 said: Please say nothing if all you want to tell me is that you are not Doctors....I know that. I am not sure if it is shoulder arthritis, or nerve issues stemming from my spine/ upper back. Both shoulders are stiff and painful, arms ache, both in the same place. Especially at night and when I first get up. Hurts to reach up and out, both arms. No weakness, just pain...like I worked out too hard. I know I will need to ask my Doctor next visit....I was just hoping it was not arthritis as I have my hip replacement in 8 days, and already had both knees replaced a year ago. Smiley Sad

Hey gazelle77,

Could list a myriad of shoulder problems I have had but here are only 2 of them. Tear in Rotator Cuff and Separated Shoulder(which led to bursitis ever since)in 1 shoulder. When my bursitis is acting up the pain is the same as you describe. When my rotator cuff was torn the pain was more lifting out to the side and upwards. With a rotator cuff it depends on the location of the tear. Many I know with this injury described their discomfort the same as what you have said here.

Ice/ice and when you think you can't take it anymore? Put ice on it and if you are able, take an anti-inflammatory.

hckynut(john)