Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Your Doctor Do This

I had one Medicare Wellness check and really didn’t see the point in it.  I can draw hands on a clock, etc.  I go to my Dr for check ups every 6 months or if I’m sick.  

If I ask questions he tells me to go online. 😟 So I seldom ask. 

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama 

When leaving the office, I would stop at the front desk and write & sign a form stating that I asked NO questions during my visit ... and have 2 people witness it  (office mgr?),  have copies made, for me and my file .....  and the insurance company.

Or maybe get another doctor, depending how much the co-pay is.

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I don't see any benefit really from a medicare "wellness" visit.

It is not a physical, just getting history and giving information about all the tests etc you should have at each age.

You might as well just schedule a physical if you want one. They ask you all those history/med questions with the nurse before you even see the doctor.

I don't even go for the physical, just when something is wrong. The dr ends up talking about other things you should do and asks questions there anyway.

I've never heard of this practice of extra charge for questions that are asked of the doctor. I would get another doctor if that  ever happened.

You would have to pay the full cost for a physical.  

Respected Contributor

@speedy girl wrote:

This has happened to me too. I go in every year for a physcial and also like to us that time to discuss my overall health and then I get zapped with the co pay. I think it is all set by the insurance companies, not our Doctors. But really it's a small price to pay for keeping up with our health. 

You will pay the copay no matter what. The copay is the portion you owe for the office visit. It has nothing do with what you discussed or questuins you asked. If you sat silently during the the entire visit, you would still owe the copay.

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama   My mouth fell open when I read your post.  How dare they???  Is there anything in the Hyppocratic oath about that?!!  Or are they afraid you will ask something they can't answer?

Just horrible!  Unthinkable!

Super Contributor

Let me summarize this for you.  Years ago when the ACA passed it allowed for one annual "well check," with no co-pay . . . . or "free" as many patients called it.  When we code a well check, we code it one of two ways:  well check WITHOUT abnormal findings  or well check WITH abnromal findings.  The problem arises when people don't want to pay their co-pay during the year and instead save up all of their issues for their "well check."  If a patient presents for their annual well check and wants to discuss their chronic migraines, their abdominal pain the've had for two months, etc., etc., then it is no longer a "well check" only.  As soon as these issues are coded . . . . which is required . . . the insurance company generates a "sick visit" charge as well.  Hence, some people are assessed their co-pay for the visit.   We've had signs up in our office for years warning people that they may receive a charge.  It's out of our hands . . . . we can't down code and pretend their were no issues.  It's just as illegal as upcoding and is considered insurance fraud.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not in the terms that you describe; however, my doctor's office has a sign in the individual rooms that basically says that if you come there for an issue, that's what will be discussed and should you throw out an "oh BTW, while I'm here" additional question, you will be required to make an appointment for the second issue or if they choose to discuss it while you are there - - they will increase cost of that appointment.

The situation you describe is beyond ridiculous though.

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama  Absolutely ridiculous.  I would first look for another doctor, which I know is not easy as I did that just last year.  Then, i would contact the state medical board where you live and also the attorney general's office.  They might not be able to do anything for you, but it would put the doctor's office on notice.  I would also contact your local newspaper/tv station.  Let them do an expose.  The practice of charging per question is outrageous.

That said, my doctor tries to limit visits to 15 minutes and she is non-stop during the day.  The medical profession is not the same as when I was growing up.  It is truly a money-making business.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

Not in the terms that you describe; however, my doctor's office has a sign in the individual rooms that basically says that if you come there for an issue, that's what will be discussed and should you throw out an "oh BTW, while I'm here" additional question, you will be required to make an appointment for the second issue or if they choose to discuss it while you are there - - they will increase cost of that appointment.

The situation you describe is beyond ridiculous though.

I was always told to jot down any questions so I don't forget to ask the Dr while I'm there.

. . . My FORMER Doctor sees me pull a little 1" post-it out of my pocket, and says if I want to ask any questions I have to schedule another appointment.

Only ONE issue will be addressed per office visit.

REALLY??? 

My thyroid function affects every cell in every bodily system.

Am I supposed to posess a doctor's knowledge of which questions about issues I'm experiencing will lead back to the thyroid and which don't?

And what about "catching things at an early stage"?

No one's going to mention some annoying symptoms that are just developing anymore?