Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Diffuse Essential Oils?

[ Edited ]

I received an art naturals diffuser with 8 essential oils for Christmas.  I have birds so I won't be diffusing the oils into the air.  I can use the unit itself like a personal humidifier (water only) and it has 7 morphing lights so I'm going to try it  out.

On the essential oils front, even sealed I could smell a couple.  I had to pitch out the tea tree, rosemary and frankincense immediately as they had me gagging. 

Jury is still out on the eucalyptus and lavendar.

The lemongrass isn't too bad and neither is the orange.  Right now I can't remember the other one.

If I use the oils at all it will be to put a drop in bath water, maybe, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama

I have become a fan of helichrysum oil in the bath...it smells good to me now as if perfume (from Piping Rock)

Lavender has become a “go-to” at night applied to my aching feet and it makes for better sleep for me.

Peppermint (diluted in coconut oil) applied to temples and forehead gets rid of an impending headache for me .

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1  that's the other one - peppermint Woman LOL  Thanks for the reminder.

I don't care for strong or overpowering scents.  

Regular Contributor

@Bird mama Not all EO's are created equal. There are a ton of fakes out there. Be careful. I also don't diffuse as much as I would like because my cat doesn't like them. 

Honored Contributor

@SleepyTime  When I entered the bird phase of my life in 2005, all I had to read was they had sensitive respiratory systems and that was it.  No smoking in my house (I had quit already), no spray air fresheners, no incense, no scented flame candles.  I don't self clean the oven and I am extremely careful if I use a teflon frying pan.

Renuzit solid air fresheners are safe.  I'm also really careful with any cleansers (comet, lysol tub and tile etc).

Contributor

I most absolutely do. I only use Young Living essential oils as you can go to any of their farms world wide and see the plants growing and watch the distill first hand. No other company has this and can guarantee  their purity. Their Seed to Seal standard is very strict and they use no fillers of any kind in their oils. Did you know an essential oil can be called pure and 100% natural and only required to have 5% of the oil in the bottle and the rest can be a solvent or filler? Gross, no thank you. I diffuse all my oils around our 16 year old cat. Oils can be used safely around and on animals. Always use caution and research anything before hand as this is common sense.

Respected Contributor

Interesting that I found this thread, as I just saw something advertised on Facebook about DIY'ing your own diffuser, although this is using reeds. You can take any essential oil (not sure but fragrance oils would probably work too) mix it with baby oil (I'd use mineral oil since I don't have baby oil) in a bottle, then stick a handful of bamboo skewers in it. Voila! A homemade reed diffuser that supposedly last months. 🙂