Super Contributor

Erthorbate sensitivity or alergy.

Either way, when I ingest anything with erythorbate in the name, I pretty much stop breathing and my lungs fill up with fluid.  This reaction includes stevia, bacon, ham, anitbiotics.  Doctors don't believe me (I'm female) so I've stropped telling them about the reaction.  It means I read labels very carefully because it is included in a wide range of products.  Oscar Mayer and Cook's are about the only products I can find without this ingredient.  I'd love some salt pork without it.  Anyone know any brands that don't add sodium erythorbate that are affordable?  (There's just so much prosciutto and pancetta I can buy on my retirement budget.)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Erthorbate sensitivity or alergy.

Perhaps it can be avoided by sticking to only fresh produce and unprocessed products.  I also only buy meat at a local butcher who sources locally.  Stores inject meat and heaven only knows what goes into processed meat.

Honored Contributor

Google might give you some information or Siri. I have no idea..

Honored Contributor

@excpa

Trader Joe’s may have some items for your consideration. They have a team they call for exact ingredient information. 

Trusted Contributor

Interesting. It is a newer preservative they are using now, but it seems to be in almost everything!

I believe you that you react to it. I am food chemical sensitive too. It says some people are sensitive to it and what you describe feeling is in the list of possible reactions. It is almost like an asthma attack (but you don't have asthma).

If it is a preservative, the best thing you can do is change up your diet to eat more whole clean foods. If a food has preservatives in it, it probably is not good for you anyway. Appears it is in all cured meats, hot dogs, bacon, hamburg (it is used to make the meat appear pink because people feel hamburg is nice and fresh if it is pink, when hamburg is not really as pink as they package it. That seems deceptive huh?). Also in soda, canned veggies, and other things.

Fresh foods, fresh veggies (not canned), whole foods that are not processed would help you a lot. If there is anything you buy that has preservatives you will have to start reading labels.

What we are doing to the food in this country is scary. So many chemicals and they wonder why so many people are developing food allergies.

I would also buy a bottle of activated charcoal capsules to have on hand. If you inadvertantly eat anything that has this in it and you feel the symptoms, you could take that asap and it will mop up the toxins in your belly and you won't have as bad a reaction.

Anyway if you Google it there is a pretty big list of all the foods it it is in. Doctors truly don't know anything about nutrition and food it seems. Which is why they don't believe you.

I live by reading every single label if I have to buy something that is not a whole food. I buy organic when I can, and always have activated charcoal on hand. My list of foods I know I can safely eat is pretty small, so my diet is very boring. But it's better than getting sick!