Esteemed Contributor

This year I need to rest or if lucky to sleep for at least 20 minutes. My eyes start hurting or weeping and I can't think straight to do anything. No special time in the afternoon. I also go to bed most of the time at 8 and wake after 5. I have to curl up in a bed for my naps and usually a cat shows up too.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Zhills

Have you tried Magnesium supplements?

Not just Magnesium.  I took Calcium I Magnesium.  I think it is me mattress.  It is memory foam on top and when it is warm, it 'gives' so much that your joints go in weird positions.

Thanks for your input.

Honored Contributor

I can't even sleep on long plane rides.   If I take a nap, I'd never sleep at night.  I go to sleep at 10 and am up at 4 or 4:30.  I even take melatonin and magnesium citrate to help me sleep, and it doesn't do much.  If I nap during the day, I'm sick--which isn't often.

I don't need a whole lot of sleep anyway, but I wish I could get 7 hrs a night-it's more like 6 or 6.5 max.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

No naps for me.  They always make me feel worse - more tired/groggy or they give me a headache. 

Honored Contributor

I worked for 40 years until I was 66 years old (an eight-year break only when I was having four babies).  No one I worked for allowed us to take a nap, LOL.  Therefore, I never got into the habit even long after I stopped working.

However, I find that occasionally now when I lie down with a heating pad to rest my aching back, I will drift off.  It's never longer than a half hour or so.  It doesn't affect my sleeping at night which, on the whole, is very good.

And no, I don't miss it if I don't nap because it is not the norm for me.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
I let my body be my guide on naps. I do sleep better at night if I am awake all day. I have always required at least 8 hours sleep.
Respected Contributor

I wish...I live with my DS,DIL, and two babies,needless to say no napping for me!

Esteemed Contributor

I savor naps.  I am an "at will" napper - I don't necessarily do it every day, or even at the same time.  The best are when I fall to sleep but seem to know that I am sleeping blissfully (the sub-conscious, or maybe the id, is aware) and during the nap I seem to register how delicious and restful it is, and things like the southern winter sun streaming in the window and the old hound dog breathing, are present in my mind while I sleep.  Like an unplanned meditation.

Other times I view it as a "siesta".  A quick cat-nap after a period of activity, and then I'm awake and aware and ready for the next round.  I try to come back to full awareness gradually and that seems to eliminate the "groggy" feeling.  For some reason I often awake hungry (that I have to control!).  A glass of water helps.

Happy napping.  I find a little "holiday" during the awake hours makes life seem less relentless.  I am both energized but also calmed.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

YES, I take naps.

I have heard naps are good for the imune system......and for ME, they work !!

Your life has to have "time" to allow naps

My day begins are 4 AM

Happy ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's !   LOL

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Respected Contributor

I only take a nap on the weekends since I work during the week.  Sometimes it is short and sometimes rather long. 

Since I am off work today, up early and going to be up late I am going to take one today.

My dog LOVES when I say "let's go take a nap".  She gets so excited.  She thinks that is a real treat.  She runs back to the bedroom and gets in our bed and waits for me. LOL