Trusted Contributor

I am unable to get in and out of  a regular tub due to OA. I really miss my soaking tub baths. I have been looking into a step in bath. Several brands out there. They cost anywhere from $3000 up to $12000. It is an investment, but for me it would be worth it. I see good and bad reviews about them. If you have one, I would love to hear your experience with it and pros and cons.  Thanks so much!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a walk in tub?

I too have OA and would love to replace my garden tub with a walk in. When ever this is discussed on this board a lot of people who don't have one always chime in with a bunch of negative opinions so you will have to weed through those. I would like to hear from people who actually have one, and not the opinions of a bunch of people who don't know any more about it than I do.

Respected Contributor

I was watching one of those remodel shows on HGTV and one of the homes had one of those tubs. I was pretty disappointed with the comments they made. Like how horrid that thing was. You could tell by some other things around the home that a person with physical limitations had lived there. Everyone is so worried about saying something negative about gender or race, but older people are still fair game, I guess. I don't know anything about the tubs though, sorry. Looks like it would be pretty cool. I sure love my baths, would hate to not be able to enjoy that. Are the negative reviews because of leaking or something?
Honored Contributor

Very odd - a couple of days ago I got a phone call from a rep of a company that intalls tubs like these walk-ins.  He said, 'we'll be in your area on bahblah day and I have 10AM and a 1PM open. When can I stop by to talk to you about getting one'. I said no thanks and hung up.  How & why would I get a random call like this??!!

These things are outragiously expensive.  I understand that it would/could be good for some folks but I can't imagine spending this kind of money for me at least.

Honored Contributor

I do not have a walk in tub, but know someone who has one, and is satisfied with it, altho she never expected it to cost so much. My friend is extremely plus sized, and could not fit into "standard models". Therefore, due to the size tub she actually needed, she had to enlarge her bathroom, and reinforce the flooring, to accommodate the size, and the weight of the tub once it was filled with water and she was in it. With added safety features, and I think even upgrades on the heat features, and something special about the door, she invested $20,000 in this purchase. She purchased a name brand system with a good warranty, and is satisfied. Her in home consultation went well, and she never once felt pressured, but the salesman made sure she understood how important it was to buy what met her needs.
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
I do not have a walk in tub, but know someone who has one, and is satisfied with it, altho she never expected it to cost so much. My friend is extremely plus sized, and could not fit into "standard models". Therefore, due to the size tub she actually needed, she had to enlarge her bathroom, and reinforce the flooring, to accommodate the size, and the weight of the tub once it was filled with water and she was in it. With added safety features, and I think even upgrades on the heat features, and something special about the door, she invested $20,000 in this purchase. She purchased a name brand system with a good warranty, and is satisfied. Her in home consultation went well, and she never once felt pressured, but the salesman made sure she understood how important it was to buy what met her needs.

It sounds like this was an extremely exceptional situation.

Valued Contributor

pink dogwood:

I suspect the phone call you got was completely random, that company was no more scheduled to be in your area on such and such a day than I was.

The question "I have a 10AM and a 1PM opening, which would you prefer" is a way to get someone to committ to an appointment.  It's all part of the game sales people play.  Don't fall for it.

Maria

Honored Contributor

I always wondered how much water those tubs use compared to a normal bathtub. Water is very expensive many places. It's something I'd want to know.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think ALL tubs use a lot of water. If you live where water is a premium then you would most likely be taking showers. However, most of the country does not have drought conditions. Where I live it has rained every day for the past few weeks. Right now my weather radio is going off announcing a severe thunderstorm watch for this afternoon.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I have a few people I know who had them installed and love them.

For those at any age who have mobility, intense pain,  or other problems getting into and out of a regular tub just lifting your legs to get in or out can really be a serious danger and hardship, this idea of having a walk in tub could solve their problems.

I love a separate large heated jet tub as well as a separate walk in shower with built in seating for sitting, and special built in step foot is placed strategically to shave legs, as well as a built in mirror for men to shave, and 2 built in shelves for essentials as well as very bright ceiling lights directly above the shower and tub areas, installed to code, in addition to the bathroom ceiling light and ceiling fan.

Of course many of these are extra's, but if affordable many feel it is well worth the cost for complete safety and comfort, while using the shower/tub in the bathroom.