Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Think Taking Biotin Does Help Hair and Nails?

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee 

Would you please share which silica supplements you take. TIA🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

It was suggested by my doctor several years ago when I complained of my hair thinning and my nails starting to go bad.  I think it has helped my nails but not sure if I see any improvement in my hair. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@SilleeMee 

@Starpolisher 

I buy my silica from Amazon. This one, Microingredients brand. This is a loose powder. I mix one heaping 1/4-teaspoon into my 'green' drink once daily. The amount is not critical, that amount is a ballpark figure and easy for me to remember. The powder is very slightly gritty and will settle. If that method isn't your choice then you can put it into food which can be stirred. You don't want to just sprinkle it on a piece of toast b/c it's too gritty for that sort of thing. I prefer loose powder b/c it doesn't contain things which capsules may have.

Organic Bamboo Extract Powder, 8 Ounce (1 Year Supply), Rich in Silica and Minerals, Supports Healthy Skin, Nail, Hair, Jo...

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@SilleeMee 

@Starpolisher 

I buy my silica from Amazon. This one, Microingredients brand. This is a loose powder. I mix one heaping 1/4-teaspoon into my 'green' drink once daily. The amount is not critical, that amount is a ballpark figure and easy for me to remember. The powder is very slightly gritty and will settle. If that method isn't your choice then you can put it into food which can be stirred. You don't want to just sprinkle it on a piece of toast b/c it's too gritty for that sort of thing. I prefer loose powder b/c it doesn't contain things which capsules may have.

Organic Bamboo Extract Powder, 8 Ounce (1 Year Supply), Rich in Silica and Minerals, Supports Healthy Skin, Nail, Hair, Jo...

Thank you @SilleeMee !

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

You're welcome @Starpolisher .

Good luck with using the silica. I won't ever go without it. 

Honored Contributor

I've been taking Biotin for quite a while now (I think most of these things take a while) and it has made a huge difference.

As to nails - I always had paper thin nails.  Just dreadful.  They would not grow much and with a bit of growth they always split.  Now, I grow very strong nails and have to keep up on them or they get too long.   I swear, my thumbnails are like a lethal weapon.  Yes, as the klutz I am, I have injured myself numberous times with one of the thumbnails.  e

My hair grows like crazy.  I know - the people here say that older people with long hair are ugly.  Whatever.  I actually get a lot of compliments on my hair.  I need to do a trim soon.  At this point, when I'm standing in the shower with my hair behind me, it goes a couple inches past the bottom of my butt. It's thick, shiny, and silky smooth.  Even the white ones (I just have a bit of white on the sides so far) are silky.  I always heard that grey/white hair was rather course-feeling.  These aren't.

I don't know what else, aside from the Biotin, would have made this change.   I wish my eyebrows would respond better.  

One oddity (which I LOVE!), and I don't know if it's the supplement or just aging - no idea why, is that my hair used to be this absolute stick straight that I hated.  Over the last number of years, now my hair has body and wave to it.   It has wave all the way to the ends that curl a bit.  It's kind of like if you braid your hair for a while and then let it out and it has that wave to it.   I never expected that but am thrilled!

Respected Contributor

I also take bamboo extract (silica) instead of biotin.  It really did not help my hair loss (alopecia), but my nails are awesome.  I actually have to cut them back about every month because they get too long for my liking.

Valued Contributor

Did not help me.

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Respected Contributor

NO!

Honored Contributor

I do think biotin has helped my hair and nails.