Trusted Contributor

Do You Have This Problem Too When Trying to Sleep??

Some nights my head hits the pillow and I'm sleeping within a few minutes.  Other times my mind is just racing and thinking of everything and anything!

May be a cartoon of text that says 'Dear mind, please stop thinking so much at night. I need to sleep.'

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have This Problem Too When Trying to Sleep??

No - sleeping has never been an issue for me. 

I keep a journal and try to write something each night - more often than not - the journal and pen end up on the floor next to the bed.  I fall asleep writing!

Honored Contributor

Yes, this sleeping pattern is with me, some nights I sleep through the night and other times I am wide awake, my mind filled with thoughts and situations.  

It has been said when you can't sleep get up and don't toss and turn in bed.  I actually started to try this and a couple of nights I straightened out some drawers and tried to unclutter an area in my room!!!!!  At least it was more productive than laying in bed staring at the ceiling with thoughts swimming around in my mind!  LOL

Respected Contributor

I read just yesterday that if you lay completely still for 15 minutes, you will fall asleep. I'm going to try that.

Trusted Contributor

I have no trouble falling asleep, I have trouble staying asleep.  Been this way most of my life and Iam in my mid 60's now.  Eventually I just get so tired I get a good night sleep in but that is not the norm.  This is just has been the norm for me.

Honored Contributor

I read a book-not one you have to think too hard with😄

I only last a few pages then am so tired I fall asleep.

There have been some nights I'm

tired but for the life of me I don't go to sleep for like an hour or so.

Then I think about those that have insomnia and how awful that must be.

Sometimes if I wake up in the middle of the night and am ready to go I will get up and then and pretend its my morning and then go back to sleep after a few hours if hopefully I have the time to do that.

I do think if your mind is racing and you can get up and do stuff, that does help you get tired enough to shut your mind off and distracts you too. But maybe also try reading a book. Also a sound machine.

I like the thunder!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

It's funny how I can fall asleep watching a favorite program on TV, but when I drag myself to bed, I'm suddenly wide awake.

It seems I can fall asleep almost anywhere, except when I place pressure on myself to try to get in 6-7 hours of quality sleep. My brain becomes like a kid fighting sleep.

There's probably some weird psychological reason I've yet to figure out. But, I've been thinking it's because I'm alone and deep sleep makes me feel more vulnerable, since my husband's passing. 

Maybe I just need a more comfortable couch, where I can leave the TV on all night and just pretend I'm not going to bed Woman LOL.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yes!  I don't know what getting a good nights sleep feels like.  I can't turn off my brain at night. I use soft music, a totally dark cool room, I read before bed, all the things they suggest and still no sleep. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older. I've read that older people can have sleep issues. My husband hits the pillow and he literally is out like a light.  Drives me nuts! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have problems falling and staying asleep.

I use a weighted blanket sometimes when it is cooler as the blanket tends to make me hot and sometimes that helps.

But sleeps sometimes is elusive.

Right now I am just extra tired too and well --sleep just isn't coming.

Respected Contributor

No trouble falling to sleep my problem is staying asleep.