Honored Contributor

Re: Do Not Resuscitate Order Posted in Kitchen

@chrystaltree wrote:

DNR orders are for hospitals and only hospitals.  I cannot even envision an first responder looking at refrigerator and deciding not to save grandma because there's a hand written DNR sign on the door...lol   It's ridiculous to even think about.  It would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I can see it now, they stand by and watch grandma take her last breath and someone comes in and says.....that DNR was for grandpa...lol

@chrystaltree It doesn't make any sense to me either!

First responders work in emergency situations and each precious second counts! Their focus is to respond to the emergency...where would they get the time to start looking for & reading a DNR?

Super Contributor

Re: Do Not Resuscitate Order Posted in Kitchen

DNR orders are for healthcare institutions whereas advance directives are legal documents that are to be in the possesion of the individual.  It is a common procedure to check the refigerator for these papers.  It is also a good idea to have a list of medications on the frig as well.  These papers can get messy so some cities have a paper for the outside of the frig stating the meds, contact info, etc.  is inside the frig.  

Another place emergency personnel look for info is on the cell phone under ICE which stands for In Case of Emergency.  For example, ICE Spouse - name.