Trusted Contributor

Do I need a diffuser if starting with aromatherapy?

Am just staring to get into aromatherapy (will be getting my oils from Eden's Garden), but I don't know that much about what to do with the oils after you get them. I've read some customer reviews to get ideas, but wondered if any of you who use oils can help me out. Thanks in advance for all comments and have a wonderful Wednesday.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do I need a diffuser if starting with aromatherapy?

I use a mist diffuser.  It works kind of like a humidifier but on a very small scale. You put drops of the oil into the water reservoir and the very light mist that comes out is scented.  They run fronm 30 min to 3 hrs. Some say they will run longer but really, they don't - unless you're talking about $100+ one.

I would purchase one where you can return it and get a replacement if it malfunctions. Most of them are made the same way and to the same standard. Made in the Orient, a certain amount of die early/don't work out of the box for the cheap ones.

I have this one and it works fine, but no longer than 2-3 hrs.

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-1901833/pureguardian-ultrasonic-aroma-spa-color-changing-diffuse...

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Frequent Contributor

I have two diffusers. One is by NOW brand, which I purchased from a health food store. The other is by a brand called doTerra, which I ordered from a representative. Both have mood lights when on, and can be turned off. The NOW brand diffuses up to 5 hours and automatically shuts off. The doTerra brand can be set for one or 3 hours, and automatically shuts off. I use ginger and sweet orange essential oils or lemon, orange and peppermint essential oils. As long as the oil is natural or certified, it should not matter the brand. Namaste.

Esteemed Contributor

Think of your purpose when using essential oils.

While a diffuser is nice, it's not necessary. I started with eucalyptus oil last winter for my sinuses. OMG, what a relief! I soak a cotton costmetic round and leave it in a glass dish on my nite stand before bed.

I also add a few drops to a bathroom sink full of hot water and towel over my head for more intense relief.

Start slow with your essential oils. They often smell very diffierent from Glade or other artificial store fresheners.