Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Appetite or no appetite, you MUST stay hydrated in order to fight this health issue; it is crucial for a good outcome to your situation.   If you cannot do this on your own, then you MUST go to the hospital for IV antibiotics and fluids---period.   

Oral antibiotics on an empty stomach can be a recipe for disaster.  Stick with bananas, rice, applesauce, plain toast, or scrambled eggs.  Constantly sip ginger ale, Gatorade, Sprite, etc., in order to take the antibiotic.   If you cannot take the required amount of oral antibiotics in a 24 hour period and keep them down, then you need interventional care in the ER.   My dads sister had severe bowel issues.   I lost count of our ER visits when she was dangerously dehydrated because of a flare with diverticulitis.   

My aunt passed in 1998 from cancer, but I saw firsthand that the key to living with this condition is staying on top of it.  Too many times I watched her "wait and see", and that only allowed the inflammation to get a bigger hold on her, so that we made urgent trips to the ER in the middle of the night with her puking violently in a trash can.  

Please take care of yourself!

Esteemed Contributor

I was told that you could not take enough antibiotics orally to really get rid of diverticulitis...you needed IV antibiotics for 4 to 5 days.  Maybe mine was more advanced before it was diagnosed.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!    God bless anyone who has to cope with it often.

Esteemed Contributor

Ladies: Thank all of u for such great suggestions. This all started last Tuesday - I ate too many nuts + an ear of corn. Won't be doing that again. I waited a couple of days to call the doctor and he called in a prescription to Walmart for generic Flagyl 500 mg. Didn't eat for 4 days. I didn't have anyone to pick up the prescription so I went on Nextdoor dot com (a community website) and in 5 minutes a woman who lives on the next block was at my front door). I couldn't believe it. She also picked up a large container of applesauce and 2 large bottles of Pediatric Electrolyte - which I had today. I'm feeling much better.

I was hospitalized for this 6 yrs ago -- but, at that time, I didn't know what I had or what caused it.

Are u familiar with Nextdoor dot com? I'm in southern Calif. but I believe this website is throughout the US. Neighbors sharing information, selling items, asking for recommendations for services, lost pets, everything under the sun. Even the local police dept keeps us up-to-date.

Again, thanks to all of u. So grateful for this site.Smiley Wink