Honored Contributor

Re: Did you ever pick the wrong Doc?

[ Edited ]

I had an amazing Pcp for years.  I was so sad when he left the practice.  I had Blue Cross at the time.  I chose the Pcp they recommended.  Disaster!  He was one of those "just do what I tell you and don't ask any questions" type of doctors.  So I "fired" him and chose another one.  I thought I'd do better with a woman doctor around my age.   Wrong!   She was lazy, her exams were not thorough.  I had some issues and I knew she wasn't taking me seriously and was not ordering necessary labs and tests.  I was obese  at the time and she was one of those doctors who can't see past the numbers on the scale.  Her answer to everything was a head nod and weight discussion.  So I "fired" her 6 months later.   I chose another pcp who I saw ONCE!  After that I could never get an appointment with her.  The office passed me on to her nurse practioner, who I loved.  Its been many years and I still see her.   I have a great relationship with her.  She's the one I see for everything now.  I have an appointment with her for a yearly physical next month.  

Respected Contributor

You all always come through with thoughtful comments.

Since I'm ranting.......This was a yearly wellness exam --new patient--including blood order. We all see the Signs all over the place that say" if this is an annual wellness exam (I'm paraphrasing) we cannot talk about specific concerns without charging you another co-pay"

Do any of you see a NURSE before the Dr? They are usually CNA's

What do patients do that have multiple health concerns? Can a diabetic talk about knee pain in same visit? 

My husband has seen the same dermatologist for years. He was in the office getting several places burned off and a couple of biopsies. She always chats as she is doing her thing. He said "tell me about botox for excessive head sweating" She said we cannot talk about that. You will have to make another appointment.

It was just a continuation of small talk or so he thought.

We have the best doctors in the world. I wish our health system was not so broken.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My original doctor came from internal  disease office.  He was wonderful, but retired.  His replacement is good, so far, but I can't get to the doctor #1 thought would be perfect for me.  I'm good, just not where I want to be.

Esteemed Contributor

(thread title)

@granddi 

No, but!  I walked out of one's exam room. I also told one to leave my hospital room, or I would.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@granddi Concierge doctors do not take insurance.  You pay privately for your services.

And, in some cases, it is worth it.

@Effie54  I know someone who pays $20,000 a year for specialized services and she loves it.

I'm with Kaiser and I am happy with my PCP. We can talk about anything.

Esteemed Contributor

In a completely sexist comment, I find younger women to be far and away the best.  They actually listen to women and work with you and they are not burnt out.   

Respected Contributor

Maybe not the wrong doctor, but who would know?  Like you, if something happens to me where I need to see a doctor right away, I can't see him.  I have to see one of his two NP's, and I have not been happy with either one.  One completely misdiagnosed a condition I had after I told her what was wrong with me.  Now, before anyone says anything, my sister is a NP for an ENT in a different network.  She was on vacation when my symptoms appeared, but long story short, over the phone, she told me how to approach the NP to suggest that I had cellulitis in my nose stemming from a head surgery.  I gingerly approached the NP suggesting what my sister had said, and she dismissed it diagnosing me with a sinus infection.  She didn't prescribe the right antibiotic nor a long enough course, yet had me repeat the regimen TWICE, which started a 6-month horrific incident of yeast infection after yeast infection.  I finally was able to actually see my internist about this condition, and again...approached the idea of it being cellulitis very carefully and politically correctly...lol...and he listened, prescribed the correct antibiotic for the correct duration, and I finally got over it.  

This internist was suggested to me by a family friend who is an NP.  She said he is very good.  But you can only see him if the stars align, you can wait for an appointment, or for yearly physicals.  He misdiagnosed an ankle/foot issues I was having before finally referring me to a sports medicine doctor who got me right over it.  At least he got me to the right doctor...eventually...but still.  I know it's called a medical PRACTICE for a reason.  lol

My husband goes to the same internist, and he likes him.  My husband has always been an excellent judge of character, but I am just so-so concerning him.  His personality and mannerisms, while not really off-putting, just aren't my cup of tea.  Between that, the misdiagnoses by his NP and him, and then not being able to get in to see him in a reasonable amount of time, have me thinking about looking for another doctor, but I'm afraid of jumping from the frying pan into the fire.  Thanks for letting me vent, but I do get it!

Trusted Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

In a completely sexist comment, I find younger women to be far and away the best.  They actually listen to women and work with you and they are not burnt out.   

There is nothing sexist about your comment! 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Esteemed Contributor

A doctor is not meant to be your friend.  They are a skilled worker who can fix a problem.  Like a furnace repair person.  

Some with the worst people skills do the best surgery.  I know 🙂

It's not personal.

Honored Contributor

@Jk9 Yes, it is sad and unfortunately getting worse.  The influx of medical patients will mean even less time with your MD looking at a computer screen to ask the required questions while typing. Herding patients through with minimal time slots,  I can't believe any MD signed up for this.  We have to pay additional premium concierge" prices for what should be routinely covered by your medical plan.  

@Jk9 wrote:

@phoenixbrd There is a medical practice near me that provides "concierge" services.   Sad that individual attention is considered an add on...