Honored Contributor

Re: Did YOU stop Veganism? I did ... !!

[ Edited ]

I don't really know what to call my diet. It's never been all vegetarian or vegan. I would say it's most closest to an Okinawan diet with dark leafy veggies, some fish, eggs, rice, tofu and green tea. I have miso soup for breakfast, traditional for breakfast in Japan. I've never had a weight problem of being overweight, but I have struggled with being underweight. I have to eat some form of high-calorie carb to keep my weight steady. I gave up eating beef and pork years ago and I feel better. My gut never liked red meat, even when I was very young.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

A blood sugar of 400 sustained throughout the day ...even for a 24 hour period put me in diabetic ketoacidosis a couple of years ago. I think emphasizing plants is an excellent suggestion for everyone but it should be accompanied with medication if necessary and monitoring throughout the day if someone is diabetic.

Ignoring high blood sugars is a one way ticket to ill health ..no different than eating fat and sugar in over-abundance.

With all due respect,

...these numbers are not 'sustained', 

...you are T1, if I remember correctly, which is a totally different beast,

...of course medication & monitoring is needed during the diet adoption,

...they are not 'ignoring'

Diabetes (mellitus) is a disease characterized primarily by elevated sugar levels measured by a blood test usually taken after 6 to 8 hours without food (a fast). Normal fasting blood sugar values vary among healthy people between 50 mg/dL to 100 mg/dL.* Levels above 100 mg/dL suggest impairment of the body's blood sugar-regulating mechanisms (impaired glucose tolerance = IGT) and a level above 126 mg/dL is defined as diabetes. Blood sugar levels change rapidly, especially after eating (they go up) and after exercise (they go down).

Again, this diabetic conversation is off topic, but blood sugars will spike after eating.  A healthy, non-diabetic body will do that.   The reason bloods sugars are sustained is because of the fat.  If the fat is removed, sugars can enter the cells as nature intended.

Unfortunately, for some reason, posters like to fabricate this particular Dr. is encouraging his patients to walk around with blood sugars of 300 mg/dL.  That couldn't be further than the truth.  I've explained this a million times.  People w/ T2 will read/hear what they want..."just give me a pill & I'll go my way".   So many people have naturally lowered their blood sugars to normal levels & eliminated their medication by adopting a low fat, plant based diet.  

Trusted Contributor

Can I have a sample of your menus on a no carb meat diet?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

A blood sugar of 400 sustained throughout the day ...even for a 24 hour period put me in diabetic ketoacidosis a couple of years ago. I think emphasizing plants is an excellent suggestion for everyone but it should be accompanied with medication if necessary and monitoring throughout the day if someone is diabetic.

Ignoring high blood sugars is a one way ticket to ill health ..no different than eating fat and sugar in over-abundance.

With all due respect,

...these numbers are not 'sustained', 

...you are T1, if I remember correctly, which is a totally different beast,

...of course medication & monitoring is needed during the diet adoption,

...they are not 'ignoring'

Diabetes (mellitus) is a disease characterized primarily by elevated sugar levels measured by a blood test usually taken after 6 to 8 hours without food (a fast). Normal fasting blood sugar values vary among healthy people between 50 mg/dL to 100 mg/dL.* Levels above 100 mg/dL suggest impairment of the body's blood sugar-regulating mechanisms (impaired glucose tolerance = IGT) and a level above 126 mg/dL is defined as diabetes. Blood sugar levels change rapidly, especially after eating (they go up) and after exercise (they go down).

Again, this diabetic conversation is off topic, but blood sugars will spike after eating.  A healthy, non-diabetic body will do that.   The reason bloods sugars are sustained is because of the fat.  If the fat is removes. Sugars can enter the cells as nature intended.

Unfortunately, for some reason, posters like to fabricate this particular Dr. is encouraging his patients to walk around with blood sugars of 300 mg/dL.  That couldn't be further than the truth.  I've explained this a million times.  People w/ T2 will read/hear what they want..."just give me a pill & I'll go my way".   So many people have naturally eliminated their medication by adopting a low fat, plant based diet.  

@sidsmom I completely agree that a plant based diet is a whole lot healthier than one with a lot of oils, meat and few carbohydrates. Perfect blood sugars and low weight, if pursued by a diet that emphasizes a lot of meat, still isn't any assurance that arteries aren't developing dangerous plaque because of all the fat.  I am the poster child for perfect A1C's because of abstinence of carbohydrates yet I have heart disease.

However, there are many Type 2 diabetics that will need medication upon diagnosis because their pancreas has lost enough beta cells that no matter what they eat results in hyperglycemia....including plants.

Having had Type 1 for more than 40 years, I think a prescription for cutting fat is excellent advice. Back in the day the emphasis was always on carbohydrates and eating fewer of them. Today, we have come a long way and some of the best endocrinologists (mine is also a top university professor) now advocate plant based diets. Now if I could only give up eating cheese, one of my favorite foods.

My best to you, @sidsmom.

Honored Contributor

Cheese is a difficult food to give up @Trinity11. I struggled with ditching it for a long time. The psychology and physiology of why we as humans love our fat is intriguing to me. PBS featured a tv show "FOOD:  Delicious Science". It explained why we love fat.

Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@RinaRina  Yes, I really don't eat red meat very often, but I do eat a fair amount of fish, white chicken and turkey.  I also include a lot of legumes in my salads.  I like to eat rather small amounts of food all day long, and  I exercise a lot.  I also noticed that if I have an egg for breakfast I'm not hungry for hours, but if I eat cereal or a bagel, I'm hungry again in no time. I guess that has to do with blood sugar spikes from carbs.

Since I "discovered" WalMart's bakery, I've become a French bread junkie.  You can buy 2 huge loaves for $1 and that lasts me a week.  Steamed French bread w/ melted mozzarella is usually my "dessert" in the evenings .. sometimes it's breakfast w/ a boiled egg. It really curbs my appetite.

I've got to get OFF that stuff!

In fact, the paleo list says "no bread".

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Cheese is a difficult food to give up @Trinity11. I struggled with ditching it for a long time. The psychology and physiology of why we as humans love our fat is intriguing to me. PBS featured a tv show "FOOD:  Delicious Science". It explained why we love fat.

It sure is!  And as soon as I finish my LAST bag of mozzarella, I'm switching to ZUCCHINI cheese.

Here's the recipe:

AIP / Paleo Zucchini "Cheese" with Fresh Parsley

Prep time
15 mins
Total time
15 mins

The recipe will yield 2 loaves of cheese. I am using reusable aluminum foil loaf pans (3 x 5 1/2").
Author: Sophie
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Autoimmune Protocol - AIP
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 2 cups zucchini, peeled and cut up into small cubes
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 TBSP coconut oil, melted
  • 4 TBSP gelatin (I use the brand Great Lakes / red)
  • 2 TSP lemon juice
  • 2/3 TSP of fine sea salt or more to taste
  • 2 TBSP nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Instructions
  1. Steam the zucchini for 5 minutes, until tender.
  2. Drain the zucchini.
  3. In a high speed blender, blend the zucchini with water, coconut oil, lemon juice, and salt for 30 seconds or until smooth.
  4. Add the gelatin and the nutritional yeast. Blend for another 15 seconds.
  5. Pour the mixture in a bowl, add the parsley and mix well with a spoon.
  6. Pour the preparation in a foil loaf pan and refrigerate until set (at least 4 hours).
  7. Bon appétit!

Perfect for my VitaMix!    Woman Very Happy

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

That looks delicious! @RinaRina Thank you for the recipe.Woman Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee

That's funny you mention.  Both @Trinity11 & I are/have read a book

called 'The Cheese Trap' by Dr. Neal Barnard addressing the dairy

geip in our heads.  Dairy a huge addiction....which does not help

our body in any form/fashion.   And yes, all fats will give you that

same dopamine hit in our head. Is it hard to omit overt fats?

Yes, but if one has their health & life on the line, it's a no-brainer

what to do.  But even then...some people can't make the change. 

I've been on both sides of the low-fat plant based world.

The benefits are amazing. That's why I want to share w/ everyone. 

So to tie back to the OP....no, never, would I stop (plant based). 

@Trinity11...hope you're feeling better & stronger every day! 

💛🌼💛

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee

That's funny you mention.  Both @Trinity11 & I are/have read a book

called 'The Cheese Trap' by Dr. Neal Barnard addressing the dairy

geip in our heads.  Dairy a huge addiction....which does not help

our body in any form/fashion.   And yes, all fats will give you that

same dopamine hit in our head. Is it hard to omit overt fats?

Yes, but if one has their health & life on the line, it's a no-brainer

what to do.  But even then...some people can't make the change. 

I've been on both sides of the low-fat plant based world.

The benefits are amazing. That's why I want to share w/ everyone. 

So to tie back to the OP....no, never, would I stop (plant based). 

@Trinity11...hope you're feeling better & stronger every day! 

💛🌼💛

@sidsmomFeeling much better and a lot more energy eating a more plant based diet. Thanks for asking.  Woman Happy

I am not perfect yet, though, and struggle with giving up meat and less oil when I am in a social situation. I never realized how social eating can really play a part in our overall eating. Everyone I know is either munching on goodies at a get-together or exchanging a fat based, gooey dessert recipe. Everyone just tells me that I just need to inject enough insulin to "cover" anything I want to eat. If only it was that simple....

Edited to add... that book is really an eye-opener. It helps in giving up cheese when you read how unhealthy it is.