Respected Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

I am overjoyed this forum is taking off! If you are new to the Forums, you now have a virtual neighborhood! Welcome!

Since sweets seem to be a hot topic, I just want to mention that on the Recipe Forum, Gardenesia posted Nigella Lawson's Clementine Cake.  It's a great healthy recipe (without the massive amount of sugar used: use your favorite sugar alternative, but go easy on the amount. The cooked fruit is naturally sweet and many sugar alternatives pack a lot of sweetness into a small amount.  I use Plenavita and Lakanto: both are monk fruit erythrotol blends and using measure for measure would be overkill!)

At any rate, it's made with eggs ( use egg substitute if you want), almond meal and citrus: you can use any kind you want, but I find the little guys like Cuties or Halos are perfect.  You get protein, carbs ( amount varies depending on the fruit) fiber and a healthy dose of Omega-3s: perfection! And, it's suitable for company!  Just be sure to let them know what you used as a sweetener: not all sweeteners work for all people.

I love to bake, but Stevia does not seem to work well at all for me when it comes to baked goods. It's fine for cold foods, but not so much for baking.  I am willing to keep on trying it though.  If you have a brand you really like, please tell us about it!

By the way, I don't use a springform pan: I use a 8x8 pan and it comes out fine. Ovens can vary: start checking for doneness after thirty minutes to be on the safe side.  Mine is usually done around 45 minutes.

Before I close here, I just want to mention a little factoid I discovered on WebMD about xylitol. If you look under side effects, they recommend that it's use should be limited to no more than 50 grams a day. Over time, there might be a correlation between the amount consumed and the development of tumor.....what kind of tumor is not mentioned.

Welcome once again! As Moonchilde aptly said, not all things work for all people: we are indeed all different. 

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I am relieved to say my blood sugar 2 hrs after eating tonight was under target range.  I worried a bit, because, this morning I kept checking ,and everytime I did ,I got a different number, sometimes higher, and sometimes lower. But all was in a fasting state . One time it read  12 points higher!

I think I can safely add orange chicken ,to my safe list of things to eat

I went out and bought another meter, because I thought mine was broken. They don't give identical readings ,even though they are the same meter. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I am relieved to say my blood sugar 2 hrs after eating tonight was under target range.  I worried a bit, because, this morning I kept checking ,and everytime I did ,I got a different number, sometimes higher, and sometimes lower. But all was in a fasting state . One time it read  12 points higher!

I think I can safely add orange chicken ,to my safe list of things to eat

I went out and bought another meter, because I thought mine was broken. They don't give identical readings ,even though they are the same meter. 

Cherry, don't worry about a few points here and there. It's your overall level of control that counts. As long as your A1C is in your target range that your endocrinologist has set for you.....a difference of a few points should not make that much of a difference.

I have enjoyed all of your input on this thread. It's an uplifting and positive read here.

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2. What a great idea for a thread! Lots of info for me, a pre-diabetic as well. No one wants Type 2, so hopefully there'll be hints, tips, medical experiences and recipes to share...Thanks.

Honored Contributor

It's been awhile, but he ate meat and cheese and eggs, very small portions of some veggies. No sauces or dressings. And get this - he was a salesman for some medical equipment company and lived in China! Would be pretty difficult in China with all the rice or noodles part of everything.

Whoa my first thought was he must have had breath that killed.... and some gastro problems.

Also I understand meat is extremely expensive in China....

(I worked with a woman who only ate meat, cheeze and eggs.... no veggies of any kind and it was almost impossible to stand next to her!) Woman Tongue

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@cherry Xylitol is the artificial sweetener used in a lot of foods. Not only is it poisonous to dogs, it can do a "number" on our gut!!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde. I can live w/o sweets. My weakness is bread, pasta, etc. What are eggs for breakfast without toast, coldcuts & cheese and no bread for a sandwich? I'm doing a modified Atkin's diet (not to lose weight but to keep fasting glucose # down). Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   my neighbor is diabetic and they use Ezekiel bread found in the freezer department

I have never used it, but ,it didn't look too appealing to me.  I eat very little bread, but I do have some hashbrowns, every morning with my eggs. It's probably no better, as far as carb go, but I like them, so I switched them for bread

Honored Contributor

Many years ago I was diagnosed "insulin resistant". Doc put me on diabetic diet & evidently it straightened out until now when A1C is just below average & new doc concerned because of risk factors both sides of family. Going on Metformin in March...Anyway, did insulin resistant  change its name to pre-diabetes? Haven't heard the term since 15 years ago. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry. Is that the gluten free brand breads?