Esteemed Contributor

Last week, my doctor referred me to a young female dermatologist. I've had a small scar on my face for a couple of years -- and I also had a few tiny growths between my breasts (called boob breakout) - which were sking color and not noticeable. The doctor zapped my face and chest (she called it "freezing". When I got home, the tiny growths on my chest have now become large, bubbly,circular, awful-looking red marks. Have u ever heard of this? On Monday, I'll call my doctor - but I fear that they won't be able to repair the damge. Feeling upset and angry today!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Dermatologist

[ Edited ]

I had pre-cancerous cells frozen off of my forehead on Wednesday at the dermatologist.  This is the second time I've had this done to my forehead.

They put ointment on it at the office. I had a round red patch (the size of a quarter maybe) for a few hours and then by morning a tiny red dot that had scabbed over.  The scab fell off this morning when washing my face and it is a tiny red dot right now.  It should be gone in another week.

Keep putting aquaphor on them.  If the redness really bothers you, you can use calendula oil to take down the redness.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Yes I've had this done many times. The "freezing" reacts like a burn. It will turn dark, then scab and come off. The skin underneath will be pink skin but it's fresh skin so you need to keep something on it . It will look worse before it looks better. You'll be fine but if it makes you feel better, definately contact your Dr.  

Honored Contributor

Because this is such a common procedure these days, it's possible the derm assumed you'd had this done before so the process of how it all works and the healing timeline wasn't explained thoroughly to you.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

Yes I've had this done many times. The "freezing" reacts like a burn. It will turn dark, then scab and come off. The skin underneath will be pink skin but it's fresh skin so you need to keep something on it . It will look worse before it looks better. You'll be fine but if it makes you feel better, definately contact your Dr.  

Yes it sounds like a very normal reaction. I've had it done several times before as well. Agree that if you have any concerns you should contact your doctor, but the skin does that when you have something frozen.

Valued Contributor

Totally normal reaction. Not to worry! It takes a few days for the healing to take place. Red inflamed and then a scab and the scab falls off and you will look fine.

Honored Contributor

I had some precancerous lesions removed from my face in this manner.  My husband accompanied me and he said he would never have that done if it meant having cancer cut out.  Ha ha.  He has undergone pacemakers, bypass, carotid artery shunts and this is a nothihngburger comparatively but he just thought I looked so bad although he saw that within a week, or less, I was back to normal.  MEN!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dermatologist

[ Edited ]

The dermatologist didn't explain that I should put some ointment on the spots - or - anything about the healing process. It really scared me - as it looks so much worse now than before the procedure. I thank all of u ladies so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Within the last couple of weeks: 1 dark spot has appeared on my left cheek. A 2nd, smaller spot appeared on the lower part of my forehead (left side). The dermatologist couldn't remove them - she said they're "maturity" spots. 

Esteemed Contributor

VaBelle: Hope the pre-cancerous cells are gone forever. They have such good treatments today.

Trusted Contributor

@kivah  I've had two "things" frozen off by the dermatologist.  One was a small wart.  The other was a sebborheic keratosis on my back.  Each time I developed a red ring and huge blister.  But, when it heals, it looks great.

My husband had a small precancerous spot frozen off of his temple a few months ago.  He got a small scab and it was all healed in about two weeks.

When I had my last appointment with the dermatologist, I was told that some people react with a blister and some don't.  You and I seem to be "blister" people, lol.

I was told not to put anything on mine and to just let it heal.  You'll be amazed at how great everything will look in just a few weeks.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"