Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

We have a good plan thru Met Life, but they dont cover pre existing conditions for at least 6 months after you sign up. I think most plans are like that.

That would be ok because the bridges probably wont be done until next yesr. I guess if ther is a 1500 max it really wouldnt pay for itself if the premiums are $100 a month.

Esteemed Contributor

@ruthbe wrote:

I know this isn't dental insurance, but this helps with the part that isn't covered with insurance.  It is a company called carecredit.  It is similar to a credit card.  But different.  It is for medical expenses.  Even for Vet expenses.  I BELIEVE if you charge over a certain amount and it is paid over a cetain period of time, the interest rate is very low.  Much much lower than a loan or credit card. 

My ex-husband heard about it from the dental office. 

We have a account with them. We used it for our dog when he had cancer. It is something we might have to use. Depends on a payment plan the dentist is willing to set up.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

You can also go to a Dental School, most I know are very satisfied with the work as well as the discounted rates.

My surgeon who did my surgeries works at the IU school. She is resigning this month. Its two hours away. I think i am going to need to many appointments to go there. 

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@StephaniM wrote:

Dental plans typically have a $1500 a year maximum, so plan your treatment right and you can get $3000 of then$16,000 paid for.  BUT do compare what the monthly cost of your premium will be.  Have your dental office check any limitations with your plan..and get the treatment preauthorized.

I agree.

Our company offers 5 diff Dental Plans to choose from and the MAX on only one is $1500 for the year.  The weekly premium for this plan is $25/week.

The other 4 plans have only a $1000 per year cap of benefits.

I would think you can expect to pay the vast majority of this expense yourself.

Good luck, I hope you find a plan more generous than the norm.

OK you pay $1300 a year for $1500?

Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Insurance

[ Edited ]

With Met Life we pay 720 per year for the 2 of us, includes the 4 checkups free, and 70% of other dental work is covered. But, I do think it does cap at 1500.

They do offer a plan that is about 120 more per year but it is 80% covered and up to 2000 per person.

Valued Contributor

Yes, Software, that’s why I mentioned the monthly premiums.  They should be about $50 a month for one person.  Crazy, huh.

My husband was a dentist for 30 years and in that time, the annual maximum never increased above $1500.  The only exception was a plan, through waste management, their employees had carte,blanch.  No maximum!  But that was definitely the exception rather than the rule.   

It sounds like you will need multiple visits so unless you’re close to a dental school, it wouldn’t work BUT you can get good care as they are supervised by licensed docs.  

Please dont go anywhere out of the US.  My husband had to “re-treat” several patients and fix the damage that was done, it ends up costing a lot more, time,suffering and money.  Remember, other countries don’t have the standard of care we have here.  Even if they were trained here, there are no checks and balances if you have a complaint.  We have many professional organizations to report to if there’s an issue.

Im glad you’re making the investment in yourself, you’re worth it.  I didn’t see your age but you’ll enjoy your food, have better nutrition, feel,better about yourself and have a lovely smile!  Good luck

Honored Contributor

Insurance really does not pay for expensive restorative work for the elderly. I think 18K is quite expensive for what you are having done, but you didn't say where you live. Dental care has always been a rackett in the states, very expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday:  DH has had incredibly expensive work done over last 5 yrs ( all good $40,000!!!).  We don't have an independent insurance but are in a managed  plan.  The way we have been managing this is through Care Credit (we actually have a plan under his name and one under mind so in theory we can spread $20,000 interest free over two years--that really helps).  Fortunately my teeth, even at 74, are great, so we deal exclusively with his issues (which are hereditary).

Super Contributor

i discovered physicians mutual 1 800 764 2696

75 amonth 2 ppl high maximums

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

You can also go to a Dental School, most I know are very satisfied with the work as well as the discounted rates.

@Shelbelle.  You can only get into a dental college if the work you need is something a student needs to complete for his/her degree.  Some have income restrictions.  I went to the University of Texas Dental School in Houston for about 4 years.  Appointments often lasted 4 hours (they're slow) so if you work, you need lots of sick leave and an understanding boss.  You pay only for the supplies used and it is in cash.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment