Esteemed Contributor

Now that i got my jaw fixed i am in the process of getting my teeth fixed. The dentist gave us a plan of action and cost. I am going to need two fixed bridges. I will be calling my insurance agent  and going over some plans. Anyone hae any reccomendations on one that would help pay for the bridges. The total cost of all the dental work is about 16k.  I know there will be some waiting period for the bridges and thats ok.

Honored Contributor

Look around at any organizations you may belong to. We bought dental and vision ins thru the Elks. Generally they pay about 1/2 of the total cost. We pay $50/month for each of us.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassadayGood luck with the dental work. It sounds like you've already been through a lot and have much more to get done.  

As for dental insurance, I say you should trust the agent you are meeting with.  Coverage varies with plans from state to state, and your agent will have the best knowledge of what plans are available to you.  Even if you end up going to a companyfor coverage other than one recomended by your agent, at least your decision will be made with the knowledge of the information you have been given. 

Esteemed Contributor

My parents have metlife. That will be one that we wil look at.

Valued Contributor

Dental plans typically have a $1500 a year maximum, so plan your treatment right and you can get $3000 of then$16,000 paid for.  BUT do compare what the monthly cost of your premium will be.  Have your dental office check any limitations with your plan..and get the treatment preauthorized.

Honored Contributor

@StephaniM wrote:

Dental plans typically have a $1500 a year maximum, so plan your treatment right and you can get $3000 of then$16,000 paid for.  BUT do compare what the monthly cost of your premium will be.  Have your dental office check any limitations with your plan..and get the treatment preauthorized.

I agree.

Our company offers 5 diff Dental Plans to choose from and the MAX on only one is $1500 for the year.  The weekly premium for this plan is $25/week.

The other 4 plans have only a $1000 per year cap of benefits.

I would think you can expect to pay the vast majority of this expense yourself.

Good luck, I hope you find a plan more generous than the norm.

Trusted Contributor

I know this isn't dental insurance, but this helps with the part that isn't covered with insurance.  It is a company called carecredit.  It is similar to a credit card.  But different.  It is for medical expenses.  Even for Vet expenses.  I BELIEVE if you charge over a certain amount and it is paid over a cetain period of time, the interest rate is very low.  Much much lower than a loan or credit card. 

My ex-husband heard about it from the dental office. 

Honored Contributor

We have a good plan thru Met Life, but they dont cover pre existing conditions for at least 6 months after you sign up. I think most plans are like that.

Contributor

Travel to Costa Rica and have your dental work done there.  You will save $ !!

Six years ago my mother in law traveled to San Jose, Costa Rica and had implants done.

She was super pleased with their work.  She contacted them ahead of time and sent her x-rays and quotes from the Dr here.  Upon arrival they met her at the airport and took her to their modern, clean office and did the work.  Father in law talked to many in the waiting room and a lot were from Florida that came to have their work done.  She was instructed to stay in the country for a week so she could have a follow up appt and clearance to leave.  US quote was $25K and she paid $12K

Oh and the doctors received their training in the United States.

Honored Contributor

You can also go to a Dental School, most I know are very satisfied with the work as well as the discounted rates.