Valued Contributor

My doctor has suggested Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia.  I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has taken it.  I have read so many negative things about it, especially when trying to discontinue it, that I am almost afraid to try it.  She has prescribed a low dosage of 20 milligrams, once a day.  I also have neuropathy, which she thinks this drug may help!

Would sincerely appreciate feedback, positive and negative!!  Thanks......

Honored Contributor

One of my oldest friends took it for her fibro.She found the side effects - sleepy all the time and very irritable all the time - to not be worth the benefits so she asked the doctor to wean it off. She also could not take Lyrica and now takes just NSAID for her pain,and they are barely effective.

Trusted Contributor

A friend of mine took it.  No real side effects; however, you must discontinue  it EXTREMELY slow.  

Respected Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Could not tolerate this med--really messed up my stomach....

Honored Contributor

Re: Cymbalta question---

[ Edited ]

I began taking Cymbalta for depression when my mom became a total care candidate.

It seemed to me to be the best option available for mood management. I also took a very low dose.

During the same time period I was experiencing full fledged fibro symptoms, and was subsequently diagnosed.

When I began to feel as though I no longer needed an antidepressant I weaned off Cymbalta, following doctor's recommendations exactly, with NO PROBLEMS.

If your fibro and neuropathy symptoms are significant enough to limit your enjoyment of your lifestyle, I would not hesitate giving this medication a trial.

I was sleeping poorly and many pounds overweight when I began taking it, and these issues did not get worse. 

As I recall, Cymbalta did make me sleepy when I began taking it, but this went away.

If I had thought this med might help me but felt as though I was experiencing negatives, I would have quickly communicated my concern to my MD and tried a smaller dose.

Hope you have good results of you decide to try it.

Respected Contributor

My son was on this medication for migraines and had a terrible time getting off of it.  He had brain 'zaps' that are often associated with withdrawing from it, even under doctor's care and going ever so slowly, he had bad side effects.   My son was on 60 milligrams, so maybe 20 milligrams would be okay.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I took it for 10 days for nerve pain and had one of the classic physical symptoms - I looked like a balloon animal with swelling of the extremities. The doctor's office told me that is one of the side effects that won't improve. I stopped taking it. I was then given a Rx for Lyrica, but after reading up on it, never filled the Rx. It was similar enough that it would likely have affected me the same way, plus the horror stories from people who were using it - I just decided no.

I think these drugs will either be successful in certain people, or a disaster.  Individual, patient by patient. And it depends on how bad one is suffering whether it's worth the try and the potential side effects.

If people are retired or don't work, I think giving it a try would be simpler. I was working a stressful job where I needed to be totally mentally alert at all times, and the more I real about the brain zaps, the more my brain said heck no. And think about driving a car.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for your helpful comments!

JoyC

Honored Contributor

Re: Cymbalta question---

[ Edited ]

I've take Cymbalta specifically for fibro. for several years now, without any negative issues.

30 mg. twice daily (every 12 hours) is the standard dosage for this disease.

It's helped me, but I also do holistic and lifestyle things to help with my various health challenges.

Side effects are individualistic, but you have to weigh the pros and cons.

Do give the efficacy level a few weeks to months, especially since you're starting on a lower dosage and only once a day.

Your body needs to get used any new med. or supplement, and that can take a little while.

As far as discontiunuing it, any drug that affects the central nervous cystem has to be slowly titrated off of so that your body can deal.

HTH  Cat Happy