Respected Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Per the CDC website:

You should stay home for 14 days after your last contact with a person who has COVID-19.

For all of the following scenarios, even if you test negative for COVID-19 or feel healthy, you should stay home (quarantine) since symptoms may appear 2 to 14 days after exposure to the virus.

Yes there was a lot more info on the page.  They do not say you need to have a test if exposed only quarantine for 14 days.  Ironically if you test positive you need to quarantine for 10 days instead of 14.

@mimomof4, it really isn't ironic.  From contact tracing at this point of time into the pandemic, it is generally accepted that most people that test positive were actually exposed at least 4-5 days earlier.  That is why they ask you to wait until somewhere around for 4-5 days to be tested after the known exposure.  The viral load has to be at an acceptable level to produce a positive test. 

So if you test positive, it is generally held that you are at least 4-5 days into the infection.  Therefore quarantining for 10 days would be sufficient and equal at least 14 days. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It depends on how much virus you inhaled at the time of exposure. If you inhaled a lot of virus then you could show symptoms sooner than someone who didn't inhale very much. Plus, it also depends on your particular immune system and if that has or hasn't been compromised at the time you got infected...age would play a role in that instance.

So true @SilleeMee.   If one receives a big viral dose at the time of exposure, they will probably develop symptoms sooner than those that are infected with a lower viral dose.

Even though they have research that more than documents that masks actually do work, it is also another ongoing theory under research here that even if you are wearing a mask when you contract the disease you stand a much better chance of having a mild illness and doing fairly well.  Point being you receive a lower viral dose.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I read that once exposed to the virus,it can take 1 to 3 weeks to show signs, the 3 weeks sound like a long time, does any one know about this?

@goldensrbest,

I have no clue. I read and listen to a lot of "experts", and how one figures out who/when and where?

Unless someone absolutely knows they have been in contact with someone that has this ******* Virus, how do they figure how many days have passed?

A person doesn't know they're exposed, much less where/when and who, yet someone throws out days or weeks? I need to have 1 of these "experts" explain it directly to me, and with words I will know what the he!! they are talking about.

Have I been exposed? How the he!! am I suppose to know? And then where/when and who!  Nobody here can explain it to my satisfaction, and I've read the latest, as far as I know.

I am going to keep doing what I have been, and are still doing. That doesn't involve me getting into a guessing game with anyone on a social media platform.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Covid 19 question

[ Edited ]

My daughter was exposed on 11/3.  She started feeling sick on 11/5.  On 11/6 she found out 2 people from her class tested positive and her roommate.  On Saturday 11/7 she took a covid test which came out negative.  She continued getting sicker and sicker and was re-tested on 11/13, 10 days after exposure.  That test came back positive.  She is just now starting to feel better.

Trusted Contributor

i dont think anyone really has the answer.. depends on your body and immune system im sure

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

ughhhh.. so now im kinda worried! just found out someone i work with his wife tested positive.. which makes me paranoid because now im sure the guy i work with has to get tested.. they are married... and i worked with him a few days ago, and i was thinking great.. he sneezed a few times sitting at his desk... and i was on the phone without my mask on... things like this really make you think.. we were in the same room!!  but also the crazy part about all of this covid ****** is he could be negative one test... and days later or a week later positive,,, so yes im worried and everyone else close to him at work should be.. i am only because of the sneezing he did a few days ago.. im so over all of this!  plus he may not test positive for awhile!!  mean while he worked a few days... im thinking he will have to stay outta work and self quarantine... for sure... i'd say there's a total of like 20 of us that work together....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe my sister and BIL started feeling sick within just a few days of being exposed, but definitely less than a week.  They were in the high risk group.  She felt awful for a few days but came through it.  He had other health problems that Covid made worse. We lost him Wednesday. 😥

Honored Contributor

@bonnie f wrote:

ughhhh.. so now im kinda worried! just found out someone i work with his wife tested positive.. which makes me paranoid because now im sure the guy i work with has to get tested.. they are married... and i worked with him a few days ago, and i was thinking great.. he sneezed a few times sitting at his desk... and i was on the phone without my mask on... things like this really make you think.. we were in the same room!!  but also the crazy part about all of this covid ****** is he could be negative one test... and days later or a week later positive,,, so yes im worried and everyone else close to him at work should be.. i am only because of the sneezing he did a few days ago.. im so over all of this!  plus he may not test positive for awhile!!  mean while he worked a few days... im thinking he will have to stay outta work and self quarantine... for sure... i'd say there's a total of like 20 of us that work together....

@bonnie f Not only does he need to get tested, he should be self-quarantining right now since his wife is positive.  The second he found out he should’ve left your workplace.  Yes, you and the other 19 need to do the same.  You can file for temporary unemployment for the time you are quarantined.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I believe my sister and BIL started feeling sick within just a few days of being exposed, but definitely less than a week.  They were in the high risk group.  She felt awful for a few days but came through it.  He had other health problems that Covid made worse. We lost him Wednesday. 😥

@JeanLouiseFinch  I'm so sorry to hear this!  Were they taking all precautions and caught it anyway?  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  I'm so sorry to hear this!  Were they taking all precautions and caught it anyway?  

@shoesnbags  Thank you.  I don’t know.