Super Contributor

I'm going through chemo now and constipation is one of the side effects. The only thing that has worked for me is Senokot S. It's a vegetable laxative with a stool softener. Hope you find something that works for you.

Trusted Contributor
Drink lots of water -- especially if you add anything with fiber as it can back you up more.
Honored Contributor

Can you walk & get around. If you aren't active - that part of you won't be active either!

BTW - How is your back feeling? I know you went through a lot of secondary problems too.

Did the back operation itself work?

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your answers. I am not taking anything for pain. The pills are stool softeners. I take blood pressure meds and thyroid. I haven't done much in getting out. Too exhausted and depressed that I can't do much although I seem to be healing OK. It is very hot here.

Frequent Contributor

Finally had to go to the Dr. Put me on Linzess and it is working really well. I also drink a glass of Light Plum Juice daily and eat salads, fruits & veggies.

Honored Contributor

Try brown sugar...it works! My children's doctor recommended it for when they were little and it works and tastes good too.

Put some in milk or cereal or whatever. It doesn't hurt to try it.

Honored Contributor
On 9/26/2014 halfpint said:

Thank you all for your answers. I am not taking anything for pain. The pills are stool softeners. I take blood pressure meds and thyroid. I haven't done much in getting out. Too exhausted and depressed that I can't do much although I seem to be healing OK. It is very hot here.

If you have any additional thyroid symptoms be SURE to have your DR. evaluate your current thyroid status. Stress (like from surgery) can throw off your thyroid functioning, and make evrything else feel worse. Doesn't hurt to be sure.
Respected Contributor
On 9/26/2014 GoodStuff said:

Have you been taking prescription pain medication? This is common after surgery and can be a cause of major constipation issues. I'd suggest you talk with your surgeon's office; I can guarantee his nurse fields these questions many times a day and can recommend or call in something to help if necessary.

Generally, you want to drink plenty of fluids, eat fruits and fiber, take a stool softener like Colace, and if things don't move along on their own, you might try Milk of Magnesia. But I'd suggest you talk to your surgeon's office for specific help and recommendations.

GOOD POINT. Any opioids (vicodin, oxycodone, codeine) stop you up like crazy. And even fruit, prunes, veggies, softeners and other stuff don't help me if I have to take them. Walking and moving are important, water, etc but while you're on certain meds, it's a fight.

Esteemed Contributor

I read the bottle and it said I could take two. I also too more water in and happy to say I got cleaned out. Am writing down all your suggestions. Thanks again.

Honored Contributor
On 9/26/2014 halfpint said:

I'm glad you aren't in any pain...that's a good start!

You've been through major surgery - that will knock anyone for a loop.

Take it slow but steady...