Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Ainhisg  and @Bhvbum My prep instructions include the Dulcolax along with Miralax.  They also added GasX.  

Did you have that as part of your prep?

===========================================

Yes, two tablets before the first dose of MiraLAX/ Gatorade.  No mention of Gas-X, I do have some if I need, but I would think that would be for after the procedure, they apparently use air to help inflate the colon. 

Honored Contributor

My prep required chugging a lot of that liquid laxitive. I supplemented it with jello, broth and Gatorade. It's worth the inconvenience to get things dealt with.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs I am having the old-fashioned prep of 4 liters of electrolyte solution.  It already has the flavoring added (lemon) so there is no getting around that.  I hope I like it.  Last time, I had a choice and chose orange.  Anyway, on Wednesday, I will:

noon:  take 4 dulcolax tablets

6pm:  take reglan to settle the stomach (that's new from last time)
6:30pm:  Take 8 oz. of the solution every 10 minutes until half gone.

Day of colonoscopy:

6:30am:  drink remainder of electrolyte solution, 8 oz. every 10 minutes until gone

I'm to be at the imaging center at 12:30pm.

A few tips that were shared with me by a nurse and a few I learned on my own the last time I had this just in case it would help anyone.  Again, I had the "gallon" prep, so some of these tips are more applicable to it:

1)  Take some kind of timer to the bathroom with you.  I use my Google listening device.
2)  Apply some kind of protectant like Aquaphor, Theraseal, etc.  This will really help ease soreness that can develop.
3)  Put the solution container into a cooler filled with ice to keep it cool and palatable.  

4)  Mark a solo cup with an 8-oz. marking. 
5)  Mark the jug at the halfway mark.
6)  Make sure you have very soft toilet tissue and/or baby/personal wipes.
7)  Have a heater in the bathroom if you get chilled easily!
8)  Don't drink anything after the last bowel movement, because it will make you have to go again.

Trusted Contributor
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree   I'm sending good thoughts and hoping time will go by quickly for you. Good luck !!

Esteemed Contributor

Colonoscopy! Be nice if some would quit making the prep sound like torture. Wanta see torture? Talk with someone diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer. Then talk with all their loved ones.

I've told my story so many times I lost count. Suffice it to say, I have had way more than my share. Some just have to make their experience sound horrible, then at the same time, "be sure to get yours"! Uh huh.

Cologuard/Cologard, take your pick of spellings. Not much different than flipping a coin. Too many False Positives and False Negatives. Then what? The smart ones schedule a Colonoscopy after their Colo results.

Be smart and get the Gold Standard, don't settle for less. Torture?? Dealing with Stage 4 Colorectal Cancer.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

When I scheduled mine the prep depended upon isurance.  I wanted the suprep which is much less liquid although it cost me more. Good RX $44 but with Single care card only $21.  Worth it to me.  I also chose the first appointment of the day, 7:30.  I just started mine an hour early, and then had the choice to get up and finish in the morning or wait a couple of hours and finish.  I figured I wasn't getting much sleep anyway so I just finished it up the night before.  I coudn't believe how much quicker everything was.  I got there at 7:15, started on time and I was out of there by 8!  So glad and relieved it is over with for another 10 years.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I confess, I probably did too much research on colonoscopies, since mine is on Thursday.  I was worried about not being "all cleaned out" and facing having to do this all over again, so I started my liquid diet one day earlier, and low residue a day earlier than that.  Apparently, that's the number one reason for the failure to get it done is people don't follow the protocol. 

On my list, Jell-O is acceptable as long as it is not red or purple. And that is the same for anything else too, like Gatorade.   I am drinking Gatorade because it has some electrolytes which will keep you from feeling weak. 

I am staying away from sugar which makes me hungry and drinking diet Gatorade. For lunch I had bullion and apple juice.  They seem to be pretty satisfying. It's going to be a long two days.   

I thought about starting the liquid diet  a day early but that didn't happen.  I had chicken broth and diet Mountain Dew for lunch.  My sister said she wasn't "all cleaned out" despite following all the instructions.  They didn't reschedule.  They had a nurse give her an enema and proceeded with the colonoscopy.

Honored Contributor

I did that gallon monstrosity two years ago for my first and I pray I can do something different next time.  I have to have another one in Nov. 2024 and I am already dreading it.  I was so full after drinking all that I had only one sugar free butterscotch hard disk candy and took one bite of the lime jello I made.  My SIL picked me up a bacon burger on the way home but I had such a migraine it was the following day before I felt up to eating it.  I hope all goes well @chrystaltree.  One thing I did learn was do the drinking at the time I wanted not what they recommended.  I was still feeling the "effects" of the prep 45 minutes before my SIL picked me up for my 7:00 a.m. procedure!  I knew I needed to start the prep early for my body.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Yup, I've been there. I remember heating up chicken broth and dying for a piece of solid food. Tomorrow you'll be as good as new....and can enjoy a nice meal again. The prep is the worst part.