Honored Contributor

@LilacTree I truly grieve for your loss.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@LilacTree I truly grieve for your loss.

Thank you violann.  Almost five years later and I am still lost without her.  There were only 13 months between us.  We grew up like twins, but were very different in lifestyle.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Wait a minute ......

I thought that after the first one, you only need to have them done every 10 years ....  am I mistaken?

I had 2 totally benign polyps and was told to retest in 10 years, depends on family history and the type of polyps that were found.

Honored Contributor

even Xsmokers  are at an increased risk of colon cancer much higher than someone who never smoked

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Wait a minute ......

I thought that after the first one, you only need to have them done every 10 years ....  am I mistaken?

I had 2 totally benign polyps and was told to retest in 10 years, depends on family history and the type of polyps that were found.

I had a benign polyp found and was told to retest in 10 years also.  As far as smoking... even if you quit for many years, you are still at higher risk for colon cancer than a person who never smoked.... I quite smoking over 25 years ago... but still am at risk. 

Honored Contributor

I also did the Osmo prep, but it was called something else in 2005 when i did it, but all pills with ginger ale, best way to go, literally, large pills, but no problem for me to swallow. Anything else I was afreaid would make me gag.

Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:
On 3/20/2015 circles said:

I have never had the test....refused...don't want to go through all that prep....but I do believe the red foods would confuse the test with blood....

Good Luck....

I tried to have the test, and I drank that horrible stuff and nothing came out. They couldn't even do the colonoscopy. I was constipated for weeks. I ended up in the Emergency Room due to being so constipated. The prep was NOT good. It was a mess. I still haven't tried to retake it due to all the issues I had with that prep.

My Dr. recommended I do it again, of course. I haven't. If I do, I'll have to not eat any ruffage, per my Dr. for 3 days. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and he said since my diet consisted of so many veggies, etc., I'd have to drink liquids for 3 days to make sure I was cleared out.

@winamac1 wrote:

I have never had the test....refused...don't want to go through all that prep....but I do believe the red foods would confuse the test with blood....

Good Luck....

I tried to have the test, and I drank that horrible stuff and nothing came out. They couldn't even do the colonoscopy. I was constipated for weeks. I ended up in the Emergency Room due to being so constipated. The prep was NOT good. It was a mess. I still haven't tried to retake it due to all the issues I had with that prep.

My Dr. recommended I do it again, of course. I haven't. If I do, I'll have to not eat any ruffage, per my Dr. for 3 days. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and he said since my diet consisted of so many veggies, etc., I'd have to drink liquids for 3 days to make sure I was cleared out.

I am sorry you had to go through that...wow...that sure would scare the heck out of me....I would never do it again as your doctor advised..if you do I hope the results are much better...no hospital trips...no constipation..

Honored Contributor

@circles wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

Good Luck....

@winamac1 wrote:

Good Luck....

I am sorry you had to go through that...wow...that sure would scare the heck out of me....I would never do it again as your doctor advised..if you do I hope the results are much better...no hospital trips...no constipation..

Thanks Circles.  I appreciate your kind words.  It was AWFUL!   I googled all of the complications with the prep and with the procedure, and I definitely knew it isn't for everyone.  I do think they can save lives, but the procedures and prep can be problematic for some.  I eat a very healthy diet and I don't eat red meat and I am at the right weight and active....Right now, I'm going with that.  I know others would disagree and say that the lifestyle and diet don't always matter, and they are entitled to their own opinion.  

As of today, I'm not going to try to repeat it, but someday I could change my mind.  My experience was AWFUL!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Wait a minute ......

generally yes, but there are always exceptions..

Respected Contributor

My last colonoscopy was about 3 years ago and the prep was Movieprep.  It too was gross but I was told to eat no rice and no seeds (and they included strawberries as part of that).  SO, I always had lots of liquids and jello. 

I asked a doctor once - "we can send a man to the moon but all these years later and we STILL can't come up with a colonoscopy prep that's not painful to drink"!!!  My doctor used to allow pills but by the time I found out about that, they came out and said that was no longer allowed.  I think my BF's last prep was Miralax and Gatorade which sounds somewhat better!

Honored Contributor

I have heard Miralax and iced tea is being used as a prep now, and it is fairly pleasant.