Honored Contributor

Colonoscopies are so vitally important, especially if one is a smoker.

My beloved sister was diagnosed with colon cancer after removal of a malignant polyp the size of a plum.  She had been having difficulty evacuating for two years prior and never went to the doctor for a colonoscopy.  The gastro doc said she should be checked every six months afterwards and she never did so.  I would ask her, did you have a follow-up colonoscopy and she would fib to me and say yes.

Six years later (yes, it took that long) the cancer had metastasized to both of her lungs . . . huge inoperable stage 4 tumors, and she was too debilitated for chemo or radiation which would have killed her immediately.

She was put in hospice and lasted six more months there.  She was one strong lady, nobody believed she could last that long as far advanced as her cancers were.

She had been a 60-year smoker and they let her smoke in hospice, her last cigarette just one day before she went into her final coma. 

That will be four years ago this coming August. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy Prep

[ Edited ]

grandpaRM---------------------What do I think you ask? First I would print this post YOU wrote and take it to the appointment YOU ARE going to immediately make with your Gastro doctor. Nowadays there are several different Preps for a Colonoscopy and while none of them are like drinking your favorite beverage, there is certainly one that YOU CAN get through.------------------------ My spine is missing 3 Lumbar discs due to them being ruptured. 1 open back surgery and another less invasive procedure to have them removed, so I am quite familiar with back pain.----------------------Set up your appointment and follow through with it. If need be, have a family member or good friend stay with you at home during the day/night of your prep to make sure you don't "pass out". Vomitting is not the end of the world, but colon cancer is for far too many people.----------I have had 13 Colonoscopies since 2008, along with 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies during that same time period. The DBE Procedure is the same as a Colonoscopy, but uses a longer scope and is not the samevas a 10-15 minute routine Colonoscopy. 1 of mine was over 4 hours. My preps were all "drinking a gallon of Go/NuLytely" and there were weeks I had 3 of them, along with 2 blood transfusions before having 2 of the 3 procedures.-------- --- You asked the question "What do you think", and above is my reply to do with as you please. Unlike other cancers, COLON CANCER IS AVOIDABLE FOR MOST, unfortunately it is still 1 of the major cause of cancer related deaths in the United States!------------------hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy Prep- MY DEAREST LADIES!

I have just returned from my second routine colonoscopy in 9 years.
I spent my morning readingall of your generously shared and mostly very helpful comments, and they gave me heart.
As I remember my earlier prep, it was actually somewhat easier than this one. The first, I believe was one bottle of magnesium citrate and this second one was two.
I was also a little unnerved by the fact that I had had my typical evening handful of raw nuts on Thursday night, and after reading some of your comments, I became concerned that my prep would not be the best I could do, but as it turned out, there were NO PROBLEMS.
Anyone who feels that topics of this type are inappropriate should try to imagine the relief that I felt reading all of your posts, and the joy that I feel here sitting in my kitchen, having just enjoyrped the most delicious cup of coffee EVER, and knowing that my system is clear and healthy!!!
So THANK YOU again to all, and to those of you who may feel especially reluctant, keep in mind that the best words you'll ever hear are "All Clear" OR "We've caught this really EARLY"!
Respected Contributor
My colonoscopy was at 8:30am. The worst was cramping from the high load of laxatives. The cramping was so bad. I was just passing clear liquids every hour all night long- didnt sleep a wink up and down all night was cursing the doctor and was considering not going but I had gone that far with all the discomfort so I carried through with the procedure. I was worried I would have an accident during the procedure itself because I was still troubled with cramping as of 7:30am the day of the procedure. Afterward the doctor did praise me saying I did well with the prep and he got a clear view.
Honored Contributor

I'm glad this topic came up. Before long, I'll get a call as to when I'll be able to have mine done. Went through the one my husband had last year.

The way I look at it is this: it's a little discomfort for a short time. The big picture is, we've had too much cancer in our family and this is something that just has to be done!! I kept saying yesterday, if I don't take care of me, who will?  I feel positive about taking care of myself and doing what's necessary. It's just one more thing, but a must.

I was going to look up the past discussion we had on this, so I'll go back and read some of this, but I will get it done.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately for EVERY NORMAL HUMAN BEING WHO IS ALIVE, the prep is always better and EASIER if you fast or consume nothing but clear liquids during the last 48 ( or more) hours before the day of the test.

Having done the prep twice, I can say this without any "ifs, ands, or butts".

I think that we as humans sometimes have a tendency to underestimate our own personal capacities to do unpleasant BUT TEMPORARY things.

If you are focusing forward to the great benefits of being the least uncomfortable and getting the very best possible results from your test, you WILL be able to do what is required of you, and NOTHING tastes better than your typical breakfast the day AFTER the test.

Blessings to those who are taking good care of themselves!!!!!!!

Occasional Contributor

The prep is a minor inconvenience. Having a colostomy, suffering through cancer treatments or a life cut short is the inconvenience. 

Honored Contributor

Wait a minute ......

I thought that after the first one, you only need to have them done every 10 years ....  am I mistaken?

Respected Contributor

I was told 3 years if a polyp is found, if not 5 years.  But my grandmother had colon cancer, so that may just be for someone who has a family history.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree, So sorry to hear that. How horrible that must have been.

I'm glad my sister takes care of herself. I'd miss her horribly and that would be sheer agony to see her go through that. She just quit smoking, and her husband, a month or so back.