Respected Contributor
I used the Go Lightly and went anything but. Lol. It was horrible and my blood sugar dropped to 48 at one point. I could only ingest jello and broth all day plus that horrific stuff. I hope yours goes much better and that you get a clean bill of health.
Honored Contributor
I've had one and asked about what kind of food to eat since everything I read said something different. The nurse just said eat whatever you want. 48 hours out, I drank pre-made protein shakes. That helped with the day before because I wasn't hungry. I was worried about being starved and having to eat jello and broth. I took 4 pills and drank 2-10oz liquids for prep. I drank water throughout the day and it was recommended to have a little gatorade. I put it off a year because of fear of the unknown, but the whole thing was ridiculously easy easy. Prep was nothing. I kept waiting for it to get bad, but it never did. I had it done in the hospital. Was in and out in 2 hours. Took an hour to do paperwork, take vitals, iv hookups, then 20 minutes for the procedure, 30 minutes in recovery and 10 minute closeout to review results. It was well orchestrated with no delays.
Super Contributor

Yes, finally had it done and the godawful stuff you drink was disgusting. Everything was fine, and they said I should come back in 10 years. I told them I hope I was dead before then so I won't have to go through it again! The best past? The color photos of the inside of my colon I got to take home as a souvenir! Disgusting! I teased my son and told him I was going to send them out as my Christmas card. Why oh why would they think we would want to see that??

Respected Contributor
On 3/20/2015 Mothertrucker said:

Thanks! I am certainly not afraid of the test,and I am very glad I am taking it- watching someone die that way and watching my young neice living with a colostomy are motivation! I remember when they gave me the test for Gilberts syndrome I had to fast for 48 hours and I lived through that...

I was just looking for suggestions, what I could eat on Saturday- I know Sunday i cant eat anything but clear liquids..

I think fasting WILL make me feel good in the long run...

Hey, I bet I can have a Root beer float on Saturday, huh? now THAt is something to look forward to!

Your doctor's (the one doing the procedure) nurse should have had you come in or called you for a pre-op appt to review all of this thoroughly, what you can/cannot eat each day prior to the procedure. It should be crystal clear to you, and if you have questions, you should be asking the doctor and not posting the question on a BB!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

The Go Lightly tastes horrible. I could barely gag it down and felt nauseous after taking it. I had a different prep another time which was just OTC stuff: MiraLax mixed into lemonade crystal lite plus some dulcolax pills. That was easier to stomach in my case.

The actual colonoscopy procedure isn't that bad. I schedule the test for early in the morning. It's a wonderful feeling when it's all over.

Honored Contributor

48 hours is a very long time, I was allowed to eat whatever I wanted up until 24 hours before test. I also had a Flex Sig a few years later no prep for that at all. I am a terrible gagger, if I was told to drink that stuff, it would be no test or onto another doctor. Some of the preps are much, much easier, like Miralax mixed with iced tea. Or magnesium citrate mixed with ginger ale.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/20/2015 ibb38 said:

When I have colonoscopies I eat absolutely nothing the day before - and only scrambled eggs, bouillon or jello (not red) 2 days prior. I want 'the view' to be as clear as possible, it's such an important life saving test.

ITA and if it's not clear depending on how thorough your doctor is you may have to go for the virtual colonoscopy as well (you can google the procedure) like I had to last month. I thought that was easier but you still have to prep which is the absolutely worse part no sedative and the test is about 10-15 minutes with minimual discomfort for myself.

I did ask the doctors office why in this day and age have they not come up with a better prep for everyone to use? I have heard of some people only taking a pill. This was my third colonoscopy and my first virtual colonscopy so when it's time for me to do the test I also change my diet to more fruits, vegetables and fish at least a week prior to help with the cleaning process.

Honored Contributor

I took the pills 9 years ago, but since they have been taken off market, they caused kidney issues in some people. What an easy prep, just guzzle down the pills with ginger ale.

Honored Contributor

Mentioned upthread, it's wise to contact your doctor for specific instructions about this, but in the meantime, there's lots & lots of websites that will instruct you what to eat/not eat....here's a good visual. Hope this helps.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Mothertrucker, sounds like you are a vegetarian. For the day before the day before I made smoothies and juices to drink my veggies, you need to avoid seeds, nuts, corn, etc. Also ate rice, eggs, tortillas, and a banana. Anything red does show as blood, so no beets in the smoothie and juices.