Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom I get the honey at Trader Joe's.You need at least umf10 which theirs has.We use it for infection prevention in cuts too.I used it to get rid of a soft corn in between my toes that the doc said I needed to surgically remove.I think there is no end to what this honey can help with.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@dex wrote:

I take a tsp of manuka honey during flu season and extra vitamin d and c.We also take sambucas.

@dex

Where do you find the manuka honey? I've read some really good things about it lately!

TIA!

@KingstonsMom  I saw a huge jar for sale at my local Costco  last shopping trip.

Super Contributor

Manuka honey is the bomb. I take a tablespoon of it sprinkled with cinnamon- real Ceylon Cinnamon and not the fake cinnimon they sell in most stores. My daughter is a RN and works in a wound care clinic. They use Manuka Honey topically as one of the options to help wounds to heal on diabetics, etc.. I had to order Manuka Honey and Ceylon Cinnamon from Amazon because I could not find either product locally. And yes, Manuka Honey is more expensive than regular honey but IMO it is well worth it.    

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden I saw that too but the UMF was too low to be medical grade according to what I have read.The honey is good though. ....tastes stronger than most but I enjoy it more. Those darn lines are attacking my posts again and I don't know how to stop it from happening.

Respected Contributor

For the common cold, the only things I have found that work for me are salty water nasal rinses with a Neti pot and Kyolic garlic capsules - 2 twice a day.  Many of my other supplements fail me against rhinovirus and friends.

Regular Contributor

I've seen those swabs, I don't remember  the name. Those commercials run every winter.   I'm sure Qvc doesn't care if you say it.  I doubt that they do much of anything, if they did they'd cost more and doctors would be prescribing them.  There is no way to prevent ever getting a cold.  However, living a healthy lifestyle, eating well, exersizing, reducing stress, drinking water does strengthen our immune systems which helps our bodies fight illnesses and when we do come down with something, a healthy immune system can decrease the severity and shorten the length of an illness.  

Honored Contributor

I double up on my Vitamin C.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

I agree the Rock and Rye is the best. One year I had a very bad cold and Rock and Rye is the only thing that helped my cough. I always buy three bottles at the beginning of the season just in case. You can only buy one brand. Jacquins. I think that is how you spell it. I learned this from my grandfather that’s how long this remedy has been around.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cold Preventives

[ Edited ]

@wismiss

Just last week, my brothers doctor told him to put a small amount of neosporin on a q-tip and swirl lightly around the nasal openings—not inside the nose.   The neosporin will trap any virus or bacteria that is breathed in.   The doctor said he and his office staff do this religiously during cold and flu season with good success.  

Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

Anyone use a cold preventive, such as the nasal swab they advertise on TV?  (I don't now if I can give the brand name of a product.)  If you have used one, did it work?  Did it prevent getting a cold or just shortened the length of time of the cold?

TIA for your responses.

@wismiss  Are you talking about Zicam nasal swabs?  You can say the name.  You can't post a link to a website that sells things or has advertisements on the page, and you can't post coupon codes.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau