Honored Contributor

Cleaning care of your teeth and gums

I always buy two soft, Oral B (just my preference) toothbrushes every two or three months.  I brush my teeth and gums often because I have bridges.

I rotate the toothbrushes and keep them "brush side up" in a cup in my bedroom (far away from the bathroom). I always let them air dry completely before I use them again, which is why I use two.

I brush after anything I have eaten, sometimes with just water if I don't have toothpaste available or a sink.  I have done that in a car.  I always have one toothbrush wrapped in a paper towel and use an open-ended eyeglass case to carry it in.  I do not use closed plastic carrying cases.

I use a WaterPik every night with Listerine in it before I go to bed.

I never use anyone else's toothbrush or allow them to use mine.

Over the decades, I have spent many thousands of dollars trying to keep my own teeth in my mouth . . . very bad genetics in that regard.  Both of my parents had dentures in their 30s.  My ex-husband had dentures when I married him and he was only 28.  I never wanted to go through that.

My girls and grandchildren have had excellent dental care all of their lives and their teeth are healthy and beautiful.

I always keep a few used toothbrushes after I am done with them because they're great for cleaning things.

Anyone else have recommendations?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning care of your teeth and gums

My late husband was the first person to tell me why one should neve leave open a toothbrush in the bathroom/toilet area.

Then I saw a TV show that showed exactly what happens when one leaves the toothbush open in the same bathroom where one uses the toilet.

It's rather gross.  I suggest people close up or separate the two.  Look into it, you'll see....

Respected Contributor

I like soft Oral B toothbrushes too.  It sounds like you take excellent care of your teeth. 

I dont have any bridges (yet!) and still have all my own teeth. I found that using a Gum brand stimulator every night before flossing has really helped firm up my gums.  I don't know if a waterpik does the same thing since I don't have one but I wouldn't be without my gum stimulator!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like you, I too was an Oral B electric toothbrush user for years, & use Reach floss as well, but I got a new Sonicare Diamond Toothbrush for Christmas & I have to say that this toothbrush is so superior to the Oral B, that my Teeth & Gums feel like I just had my dental hygienist clean them everyday. It might take a little bit to get used to it, but I use the sensitive setting, since I have so many crowns...Wait until Kohl's or someone else has it on sale because it is pricey, but it's Simply The Best!!! Hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

I have an electric toothbrush and a waterpik. I change the head of the toothbrush every 2 months instead of every three. Right now I have a Sonicare and before that I had an Oral-B Triumph. I like them both. 

Honored Contributor

My Sonicare toothbrush has a sanitizer unit with it.  It holds two brushes.  I alternate between the two, but I never leave a brush to air dry.  Always in the sanitizer.

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I like soft Oral B toothbrushes too.  It sounds like you take excellent care of your teeth. 

I dont have any bridges (yet!) and still have all my own teeth. I found that using a Gum brand stimulator every night before flossing has really helped firm up my gums.  I don't know if a waterpik does the same thing since I don't have one but I wouldn't be without my gum stimulator!

@itsmagic

Unfortunately, I can't use flosses because the teeth in my bridges are connected.  I depend heavily on the WaterPik to get under the bridges, and I use it on "low" because I don't want to separate the gum tissue from the bridges.

You are right in that taking care of your gums is just as important, if not more, than brushing your teeth.  I also brush my tongue.

I have extended family some of whom walk around with missing teeth.  IMO, it doesn't matter how good looking or smart one is, missing teeth to me looks like . . . well, I don't want to say it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

In very short order I took out 500 dollars worth of gum line fillings with a sonic toothbrush ,so I'm back to my extra soft manuel toothbrush.I use Colgate products and floss once a day and use a fluoride rinse.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

In very short order I took out 500 dollars worth of gum line fillings with a sonic toothbrush ,so I'm back to my extra soft manuel toothbrush.I use Colgate products and floss once a day and use a fluoride rinse.

I just finished up with major dental work.  

The hygienist gave me (well, I'm sure the price of it was somehow included in with the services)  a Rotadent electric toothbrush.  You can only get them through a dentist.  The charger went bad within a week and I had to wait for a new one to be sent to me - the new one is fine - while waiting for the new one I went back for one night to using the OralB electric.  I stopped because I thought it was going to knock the teeth out of my head!

I'm sure the OralB was one of the reasons why I had so many gumline cavities.  It oscillates and has harsh bristles on it.  The Rotadent spins 360 and the bristles are a filament.

You can buy the Rotadent from Amazon or Ebay but the Rotadent website tells you that there in no warranty included with it unless it came from the dentist - when you register it, they do ask for the name of the practice.

I really didn't think it was doing much but it does work - I went yesterday for a 3 month check and got a glowing report from both the hygienist and the dentist.

Honored Contributor

I have a very narrow jaw.........and use children's toothbrushes.

♥Surface of the Sun♥