Honored Contributor

Cholesterol Meds - Side Affects

Just wondering if any of you have had negative side affects from taking these prescription medications?  If so, what med was it and what side affects?

I have been taking the generic form of Lipitor for just a few months and am now experiencing a lot of pain in my arm, hand and leg and it seems to be now going in my other arm and leg.  I know that muscle pain is a symptom which could occur with these meds.

I am going to contact my doctor about this but wanted to see what your experiences have been.

I was very hesitatnat about taking these meds to begin with and posted about this before.  I researched them and hemmed and hawed and decided to take it.  Now I am thinking maybe it was not a good idea.

Thanks for your input.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Cholesterol Meds - Side Affects

My hubby takes Lipator and never had an issue, he did take another statin before that gave him issues

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I cannot take Lipitor because of the leg aches I experienced.  I now take Pravastatin.

Honored Contributor

Atorvastatin here. No problems. But....everyone is different. What will give one person pain will not give another pain. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was prescribed Lovastatin when my LDL was high. At first I had constipation then that went away but it caused my A1C to go up to a pre-diabetic range. I'm no longer taking that drug. I have successfully achieved normal levels of cholesterol and A1C through diet, exercise and taking the supplement berberine. It's the berberine that has really made a difference for me. I'm 63 and all of my numbers are normal. I am Rx-drug-free and I am very grateful for that.

NIH publication:  

"Berberine--a novel approach to cholesterol lowering"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15926873

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, my DH had bad side effects from Statin drugs.  The solution came from our PCP, internal medicine doctor.  He highly recommended “Cholestoff Complete,” an over-the-counter medication.  It has to be the “Complete” version.

Our cardiologist had never heard of this and was skeptical, but was open to DH trying it, all the while checking on DH’s blood work with frequent testing.  Guess what?  It worked so well that our cardiologist was amazed.  If you can believe this, he has told DH he now recommends “Cholestoff Complete” to his patients.  

Should you you decide to go this route, you should not try anything without your doctor agreeing and monitoring your trial.  Side effects from statin meds are now well known.  Some people have no problems, but others suffer from side effects that they should not have to live with.

Best of luck to you.  I am sorry for the side effects you are experiencing.  

Pam

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   I take the generic form of Zocor and have never had any side effects.      I don't know what drug my cousin took for his high cholesterol but it affected his muscles so much that he had to stop taking the medication...  Don't know what he took though...

Respected Contributor

DH had extremely painful leg cramps when he was on Lipitor. His doctor took him off it and his cholesterol has tested within acceptable levels, so he hasn’t been on cholesterol meds since then. 

Honored Contributor

I take Cholest Wise from Puritans Pride for the last 14 years, the formula is very compolete, much more so than the one mentioned from Nature Made. 

It contains the plant sterols, as well as odorless garlic, niacin, pantethine and fish oil. 

Regular Contributor

Took Crestor for 6 months and developed leg numbness.  Switched to Andrew Lessmans natural supplement and no problems.