Honored Contributor

Chicken cartilage

[ Edited ]

Any one take this for joints? Swanson vitamins have it in tablets, been giving my oldest golden a product called extend, it has helped him,does any one take this, going to order for my old guy ,cheaper than extend it is for humans in pill form.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

This is a new one on me and I won't brush it off.

I'm a long-time dog owner and what floors me is some of the supplements veterinarians use that really, really make a huge difference for arthritic dogs. I have heard and seen more wonder stories about chondroitin/ glucosamine for arthritic dogs, but I can't say the same for humans.

There is not too much money going into pet medication research, and there are a lot of basic science questions you could ask about why some things work better for animals than people.  We can only speculate.

I'm glad your furbaby is moving and feeling better!  I want to ask my vet about it because our standard poodle is middle aged, but prevention is good.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

This is a new one on me and I won't brush it off.

I'm a long-time dog owner and what floors me is some of the supplements veterinarians use that really, really make a huge difference for arthritic dogs. I have heard and seen more wonder stories about chondroitin/ glucosamine for arthritic dogs, but I can't say the same for humans.

There is not too much money going into pet medication research, and there are a lot of basic science questions you could ask about why some things work better for animals than people.  We can only speculate.

I'm glad your furbaby is moving and feeling better!  I want to ask my vet about it because our standard poodle is middle aged, but prevention is good.

Poodlepet2

I thought what the heck,he is worth trying it,it is expensive,if you go to swanson vitamins, there are many that use it in their pill form, so much cheaper than extend.

Valued Contributor

There was  a big study done by doctors at Beth Israel in Boston about 20 years ago , The participants drank liquid chicken cartilage drink at least twice a day and it showed excellent results , Many of the participants got relief fro their arthritic pain and continues taking it after the study.I think Dr. Threntham was one of the doctors.

cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

Twinkies, I wonder if the Beth Israel study was involved in the development of glucosamine/ chondroitin? I bet it was.

The funny thing is, every orthopedic surgeon I have ever met ( and there have been many) have all said the same thing: it works for some, but not for others, but in double blind studies, something was going on besides the placebo effect-but there were no changes to tissue in histological studies.

Some even suggested specific brands that seemed to work better than others even though the amounts of active ingredients were the same.....a couple speculated that there might be differences in molecular weight, vehicles the supplements were in etc.

Pharmacology is fascinating: there are so many drugs on the market that work very specifically, but their mechanism of action is unknown.

Poodlepet2

Valued Contributor

you are probably correct , Chicken cartlidge worked for most of the participants but not all andit took 6 to 10 weeks for some to get some effect but it did help most of them , I am going to try sprinkling some on my kitty's food , She is 21 years old ,has arthritis and is blind now , She still gets around and it kinda spunky for an old cat , I think it might help her , I have tried other things but getting her to eat medications is difficult . I just love my kitties , Ihave 2 , One is 15 and the other is 21 years old

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

@twinkies wrote:

you are probably correct , Chicken cartlidge worked for most of the participants but not all andit took 6 to 10 weeks for some to get some effect but it did help most of them , I am going to try sprinkling some on my kitty's food , She is 21 years old ,has arthritis and is blind now , She still gets around and it kinda spunky for an old cat , I think it might help her , I have tried other things but getting her to eat medications is difficult . I just love my kitties , Ihave 2 , One is 15 and the other is 21 years old

cathy from ma

After you have tried it for a month,post what you think.

Respected Contributor

Goldens, that another good point you brought up: when glucosamine/ chondroitin works for an arthritic dog, it seems to happen fairly quickly as opposed to humans: there are all kinds of basic science questions right there, but I have joked with other dog owners that we wanted what our dogs were getting!

By the way, I just happen to think Standard Poodles and Short hair Border Collies rock!

Our next door neighbor has two Goldens that come over to our yard and happily trot off with coconuts on the ground.....oddly enough, they ignore our tennis balls!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

We give our big 85 pound baby glucosamine and a back massage.  He has a little arthritis in his spine.  He also gets an aspirin.