Occasional Contributor
Hi, I'm new to the boards. I had surgery on May 4th and everything went really well. After four days I could not move at all and had to have a second surgery due to a blood clot. That surgery left me unable to move the the lower half of my body. I have since regained almost all of my movement. I was told that I will walk again. I have been in an acute rehab and am now in a sub acute rehab and will most likely need out patient therapy after this and my question is has this happened to anyone and how long did your recovery take. I realize everyone is different but I'm just trying to get an idea. Also since all this I've become incontinit which has not been fun! I thank you all in advance for any help.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cervical spine surgery

[ Edited ]

No experience or advice but I sincerely wish you all the very best and a good recovery. Please don't be a stranger here Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ebee827  I have not had experience, nor have any advise for you.

I want to welcome you to the boards and pray for your continued healing.  It sure sounds like an enduring process and you have been really strong to progress so nicely.  It's only been a few months, and you have had such improvement.  You will get there, I have no doubt.

Keep the faith, good things will continue to happen for you.  God bless friend.

Honored Contributor

@ebee827  Welcome to the boards.  Your situation is one of the reasons I have not had surgery to relieve the chronic pain I have in my lower back... the fear I might be in worse condition.  I feel badly for you and hope your problems resolve themselves with therapy.  Keep in touch and let us know how you're progressing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@ebee827

Though I had cervical surgery at C5-6 in 1994, it was successful and without complications.

When I read your post, I just had to take a deep breath, as hearing such outcomes is heartwrenching, even for us out here who don't even know you.

It's clear you've already made it past some major hurdles, but have more to go.   My thoughts and prayers are with you, as your recovery journery continues.

Am hopeful that you will hear from someone with a like experience who can share with you.

Respected Contributor

WELCOME to the boards. So happy to have you. I wish you a full and speedy (or at least full) recovery.

Please keep us posted on your recovery and the progress you are making. Or come to vent anyway.

Honored Contributor

Welcome aboard @ebee827Woman Happy

I wish you the best for a speedy recovery. I have had cervical spine surgery. I had all of the vertebra in my neck replaced with artificial bone and metal. They replaced vertebra from the base of my skull all the way down to where the neck meets the top of the shoulders. I did not experience any problems after the surgery. Everything went smoothly, tg. The only thing I remember was my scalp was completely without feeling (numb) for several weeks and I had some stiffness and light pain in my neck for several weeks after surgery. Another thing that I noticed after years had passed was that my jaw has misaligned which can happen after this kind of surgery. 

Please keep us posted with your progress.Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

wish you best of luck . get well soon

Respected Contributor

welcome ebee827. new people are allways welcome. sorry to here what your going thru. hope you continue to get better. i had upper back surgery back in 2003. i was numb from waste down and had an mri and next moring was called to come to hospital for emergency surgery. i had 2 discs starting to stick into spinal cord. they said  if  you moved the wrong way you could have been paralized. surgery went well and was back to work in 3 months. hope you continue to recover and again welcome.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cervical spine surgery

[ Edited ]

@ebee827

Have had 2 spinal surgeries, both to remove ruptured lumbar discs (L-5/S1/L3). Six months after my 1st major surgery(I was 35 at the time),I was back doing my heavy lifting job/playing hockey once again, and doing all of my many fitness exercises.

No Cervical surgeries, but I do have 3 crushed Cervical Vertebrae in my neck. Chiropractic Adjustments and Physical Therapy Sessions have kept me active and not needing Cervical Surgery.

One of my best friends is a Spinal Surgeon(he removed my ruptured L-3 disc), told me that surgery for me would be, at best, 50/50, and he does not recommend it. At times I had some painful issues with my neck, but another friend that was a Chiropractor, kept me away from needing any surgery.

You don't mention your age group and that oft times has a bearing on ones recovery from any type of Spinal Surgery. I do not give advice, only suggestions on occasions. When it comes to issues of the Spine? If you trust your Surgeon, follow his/her rehab instructions to the "T".

My best to you going forward with this issue, and welcome to this Wellness Forum.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)