Regular Contributor

My primary care Dr just told me that I have aortic stenosis. She hears a murmur, syatolic grade 2. My Dr looked at past tests I had done and an echocardiogram that I had back in 2007 showed the stenosis, but I don't ever remember anyone mentioning this to me.

I have an EKG next Wednesday and an appointment with a cardiologist on Aug 18th. I have an echo on Sept 8th unless the Cardiologist says I need one sooner than that. I do get some shortness of breath and mild chect pain.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Thank you for reading this far! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My mom had it, nothing was ever done about it. Whenever a doctor examined her they always noticed it right away , but not even her cardio doc did anything about it, I guess she was already too old to do anything very aggressive.

Honored Contributor

Re: Aortic Stenosis

[ Edited ]

Hi @JuLee,

I have not, but a friend I have known for over 70 years had this same issue. I know just like narrowing Coronary Arteries, this is similar in it's effects of the hearts ability to pump blood throughout the body. 

He was on meds that helped a little(Coumadin was 1, not sure of others). Last December he had his Aortic Valve replaced with that of a cow. He is 81 years old, has always kept himself physically fit, and I was ice skating with him in February.

He is doing all his gym workouts and ice skating as in the past, just hasn't reached his full potential recovery yet. He still is on Coumadin/Warfarin, and I think on the generic of LoPressor(Metropolol), which is a blood pressure med.

That is what I know from what he has told me. He however isn't near to wanting to known small details of those types of things as myself. Some things I ask him he doesn't have an answer, myself? I would leave no question about this unanswered by any of my doctors.

I hope all goes well for you so keep me posted. My friend's experience is a very positive one and shows the great things that can now be achieved with the advancements of Medical Technology.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I don't know anything about it...just sending good wishes your way. Kind of scary I know.

Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone! My Dr thinks I have this because I used to get strep throat as a kid all the time, and at least once I had reumatic fever as a result. She said that scars the valves and then they get calcium build-up on the scars over time. Who knew!

I guess they decide to do surgery when a certain percentage of the valve is closed. So I'll find out more next week.

@Shelbelle- I'm sorry about your mom.

@hckynut- That's great about your friend! It's nice to hear good stories. It's a "common" surgery, but not to me or my family! So it's great to hear good outcomes.

@wonderfulworld- Thank you. That means a lot to me.

HeartHeartHeart

Esteemed Contributor

If you've been suffering from shortness of breath and chest pain, I'd make sure to following up on everything that's been scheduled.  These are signs that you needed attention yesterday.

Respected Contributor

My 89 year old dad had aortic stenosis for years.  He had tripll bypass when he was 62.  He has also had atrial fibrillation for years. (I was diagnosed 3 years ago with A-fib myself..thanks dad).

My dad's aortic valve got to the point that the cardiologist said it was time to have it replaced.  He had it done approximately 6 years ago and he's doing just fine.

Good luck to you.

Super Contributor

I have had it for years.   I am 67 years old and walk daily.   I get it checked every year  

I just had an echo last week and was told to come back in a year.   The surgeon said sometimes they never have to do anything about it.   Just take care of yourself and don't worry about it ..  if the valve becomes a problem it will let you know.