Esteemed Contributor

Re: Care Package for Someone Undergoing Chemotherapy?

If she doesn't have a tablet....the Q. and HSN...both have inexpensive ones to play games on....someone mentioned solitaire....i play that on my tablets all the time...then there are other games she can play ...you would be surprised how the time goes by playing solitaire on your tablet...easier then a deck of cards....

Trusted Contributor

@BExplorer  I am fine.  Thank you.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

Thank you @GCR18 @Oznell @Gram W for the great ideas; they are very helpful!  The reason I am struggling with ideas is I don't know this person well, but she is the mother of a dear friend.  I just wanted to send a little something to show my support.  😊

I think a little tote bag with the cream and lip balm would be nice.

I re-read your post.  I'm not sure about the coffee.  I was told I couldn't drink it while on chemo.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @circles for your tablet idea--great one!

@GCR18 Thanks for letting me know about the coffee.  Other than alcohol, I wasn't aware of dietary restrictions.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor

How very kind you are to do this for your friend's mother. I've also heard that goats milk soap is very good for those going through chemo.  Please consider doing something for your friend, as well. When my husband had cancer and was going through treatment, we had one friend who called often to check in. But he always started the conversation by asking how I was doing. Not that it was in any way about me, but the care giver is often under much stress and appreciates even the kindest word or show of support. Prayers for your friend's mother.

Trusted Contributor

@Lost in Yonkers. You are so right on.  We should never overlook the unseen health and needs of the caregiver.  They are so busy caring for their loved one they often ignore their own needs.   Your friend will need your support in many ways.  Listen carefully and she unknowingly will give you hints how you can help her.

Years ago I had a friend who had to travel 3 hours one way for her chemo.  Her family cared for her at home needs but they all had jobs.  She could take herself to chem but was to sick to drive home.  Another friend and I took turns going with her so we could drive on the return trip.  We had fun going up and she slept all the way home.  To us it was a simple thing to do but she and her family appreciated it very much.  Just this simple act took 1 worry of their minds.  By the time we got her back home her daughter or husband would be there waiting.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I underwent chemo this past year.  Here are some things that I appreciated.  Meals for my husband that he did not have to prepare, just heat  A friend brought dinner once a week. This was for him because the one receiving chemo doesn't know from one day to the next what will taste right.

A soft non binding hat to keep your head warm after hair loss, square scarves that fold into a triangle to cover the head, an inexpensive throw to take to chemo ( it's cold in there).  A freezer well stocked with popsicles - these are priceless for liquid, nausea, soothing to the mouth sores from chemo.  I craved tomatoes and a friend brought a beautiful big tomato each week.  

A soft baby toothbrush is necessary to protect the sensitive gums and hard to find, Walgreens sells a non alcohol based mild mouthwash that is expensive, but soothing.  I kept a bottle of hand sanitizer close by to use after reading a magazine handling the phone, etc.  Chemo weakens your immune system so sanitation very important.

Fuzzy socks keep your feet warm during chemo.  A friend gave me  a small stuffed animal with praying "hands" that I keep near to remind me she always has me in prayer.

Things NOT to give - candy or sweets - best to avoid sugar, it feeds cancer.  Coffee is very drying and with nausea, not appealing.

Letting your friend know you are available to give rides, bring a meal, run to the store will mean a lot.  Your kindness will help a lot to keep morale up for your friend

Contributor

I suggest that you do not buy any type of food whatsoever. Everybody reacts to chemo differently. When you go through chemo, your taste buds change. When I went through chemo I felt well enough the day of chemo and the day after to eat my regular diet. By the third day, I could not stand any type of food, even water. She will not know what she is willing to eat until she goes through her first chemo session. Plus, she has diabetes and do you even know if she is on any kind of a food plan? Best to forget about the food.

I also don't suggest reading materials. I know for myself, I was just too sick to sit up and read. I simply stayed in bed, slept, and watched TV. But then again, everyone reacts differently to chemo.

As suggested earlier, I think some nice soap bars, shower gel, lotion, or hand cream are a great gift idea and a safe one. Most women would appreciate those things. Many people do not buy specialty soaps etc. for themselves. I bet she would love such a gift from you. 

Super Contributor

Thinking of drinks, tea might be something she could handle if you stayed away from caffiene,  such as herbal or fruity teas for when she's not feeling her best.  I know sometimes coffee lovers don't like tea, but I love both! My mind tends to go toward comfort items such as another poster mentioned with fuzzy socks or perhaps a blanket or cozy PJs.  For my cousin and Mom, Shea butter went over well.  My Mom wasn't sensitive to scents, but I know after major back surgeries, my allergies were worse than normal and I couldn't stand even L'Occitane's shea butter which I normally love and isn't that strongly scented.  Something like Shea Terra's Shea Butter Nilotica (it melts faster) absorbs real well and has no additional fragrance.  Look for a coupon for 30 percent off first if you go that route, or even unscented lotions elsewhere are great.  Same goes for lips, you're thinking well!

As far as reading material, anything light from magazines to short stories.  I know my Mom still did crosswords and read, but she switched to more light reading during that time.  What about something like a month of streaming a service or channel? It could be her choice when if possible, so that way if she's not up for it now and needs to rest more, perhaps she could go with next month? I don't know if it works that way, I'm just thinking of what my Mom would like and that popped into my head.

You're an incredibly kind person, I hope you know that! Hugs!

Honored Contributor

I glanced through the posts, I may have missed this but I would want earbuds and my phone to listen to music or talk radio or whatever.   Earbuds so I could zen out.   Not all chemo rooms are private and it's best not to be disturbed, even by the staff.

And a blanket, it's been mentioned. 

When my loved ones were undergoing their treatment, they were gifted with a blanket at the clinic.

And I think snacks are OK.    Something with a bit of protein.   If the treatments take hours, your body needs to be fed.   Her being diabetic and all.

Best wishes for an excellent outcome.

@BExplorer wrote:

Good evening, all!

I would like to put together a small care package for someone who will be undergoing pretty heavy chemo treatments.  She is 77 and also diabetic.  My initial thoughts are a nice hand cream and lip balm (I have been told skin gets really dry because of the chemo), gourmet coffe and soup.  After that, I am stuck.  Any ideas of what might be helpful?  TIA!  Smiley Happy