Honored Contributor

I have a removable bridge for my bottom teeth and occasionally get  canker sores. I have one right now and its very painful.  I have been taking Lysine and its not helping used to use Glyoxide but I read on here that there is a shortage. What do use when you get one? Thank you 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I use Abreva. I also rinse my mouth with 50/50 hydrogen peroxide & water 2-3 times a day. 

Honored Contributor

I think you need to have the fit of your bridge checked.

Rinse with hydrogen peroxide and spit it out.  DO NOT SWALLOW IT.

Rinse with salty warm water and spit it out.  DO NOT SWALLOW IT.

Take some Tylenol 

Avoid sugar.

Avoid irritating foods that are acidic or too spicy.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I think you need to have the fit of your bridge checked.

Rinse with hydrogen peroxide and spit it out.  DO NOT SWALLOW IT.

Rinse with salty warm water and spit it out.  DO NOT SWALLOW IT.

Take some Tylenol 

Avoid sugar.

Avoid irritating foods that are acidic or too spicy.

At this point my dentist is more than an hor away. I do not eat sugar or spice.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Canker sores are not cold sores (viral contagion) so they will not respond to lysine treatments. Canker sores aren't caused by a virus but are usually the result of something irritating,  from stress or from a predisposition from an existing medical disease. Best thing to do with canker sores is keep them clean.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Canker sores are not cold sores (viral contagion) so they will not respond to lysine treatments. Canker sores aren't caused by a virus but are usually the result of something irritating,  from stress or from a predisposition from an existing medical disease. Best thing to do with canker sores is keep them clean.

I have always been told by a dentist to use Lysine 

Honored Contributor

I think I'm done trying with this poster.  The community tries to offer help and there is always a comeback to shoot down suggestions. Every time.  Why bother anymore?

Honored Contributor

Re: Canker Sores

[ Edited ]

Vitamin B12 supplements are best for canker sores. Lysine is for cold sores.

People who have a vitamin B12 deficiency are predisposed to getting canker sores. Older people and vegans are in that category. Many autoimmune diseases are associated with low vitamin B12. It's more common than you think.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33103958/#:~:text=Moreover%2C%20three%20studies%20administered%20vit....

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I think I'm done trying with this poster.  The community tries to offer help and there is always a comeback to shoot down suggestions. Every time.  Why bother anymore?

Good bye

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Lysine is indeed recommended for both oral and genital harpes.  Nothing to do with cold sores.

However, I have run into some suggestions about bone health and lysine.  Have you seen that it interacts with calcium?  Would that be a good to take for that reason?