Honored Contributor

@JackieHN --well at least that part is over----now the dreaded waiting----will the results be online in your portal if you have one?  I hate MRI's-------I had 2 tiny lumps in the "good" breast that they finally marked with small metal .....things? so they could always find them when needed. Were just very dense tiny dots that were nothing---I think I had a biopsie in one of them once just to see what it was. You will be fine---you must be close to 200 years old by now with all your "aging" over these tests!!! But you look marvelous!!!! Woman Very Happy Let us know!!

Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone...

Just thought I'd pop in and let everyone know how I'm doing.

I'm not doing too good. The biopsy of the mass found on my PET scan and MRI was biopsied two weeks ago---it is malignant--it is located in the fat pad above my large intestine--at least it's not in a vital organ or in a lymph node.It is the same type of uterine cancer I've had--this is my 3rd recurrence. Since it is only one mass, Sloan has an interventional radiologist who specializes in patients who have one mass---it can be frozen (cryoablation) through a large needle--no need for surgical removal--once frozen, it dies and is absorbed by the body. The doctor does use a laproscope to blow CO2 into my abdominal tissue to make room for the needle so it stays away from blood vessels--lessens the chance of bleeding during the procedure. I can have either general anesthesia or twilight sedation--my choice. It's possible I can go home the same day, but I can chose to stay overnight if I'm more comfortable doing that.

I'm scheduled for the procedure on Feb 27th---pre-surgical blood work on Feb 22----and a meeting with the anesthesia group. Seems this procedure has been very successful in France--and is a new procedure here in the States--and so my doctor is on the cutting edge of this type of cancer treatment.

Joe and I are sad about this happening---it will be back to trying another anti-estrogen drug and having PET scans every three months----it's like starting from scratch again.

Difficult emotionally, but am grateful I have options that might save my life for awhile.

Would appreciate some prayers and good vibes.

Hope everyone here is doing well.

Big Hugs,

Gracies/Remy's Mom

Trusted Contributor

@Gracies Mom  I'm sorry to hear this news but I feel you are really lucky they caught this and it's not in a major organ nor lymph nodes.  Is it in the perontineum

or mesentery?

I will keep you in my prayers and thank God you are in the best of hands.Heart

Valued Contributor

Hi Pink!

I think the mass is in the perontineum. I've had the same thing on the left side seven years ago, but there as no such treatments(like I'm scheduled for) back then. My best bet was to take Letrozole (yes, the breast cancer drug) and hope the mass goes away once it's fuel (estrogen) was taken away--and that's exactly what happened. But now, seven years later, the Letrozole stopped working and I'm back where I started.

This new procedure is being done in France and has been successful--my interventional radiolgist is French and either learned it there--or helped perfect it. It is not FDA approved from what I've read, but that doesn't matter to me--if it gives me more time, I'm all for it.

What you said is true--I am in the best of hands--and very lucky to have Memorial Sloan-Kettering within 100 miles of me--so glad we didn't move to a dfferent state when we retired! I'm scared but confident I'm doing what is right for me.

Thank you, Pink, for the prayers and good vibes. I wish all the same for you as well.

Love & Big Hugs!!!

Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom -----well nuts!!!! But so very interesting about the procedure you will be going thru--amazing what is available now that wasn't 7 years ago. Of course I am very sorry to hear that it is cancer but....you got on it so fast and that is what matters!!! And really--if you have to take more pills and go in for more tests---it's not a big thing. You've done it before, right? So it will be the drugs to take and no chemo or rads? That is a winner in my book--- And is there such a thing as margins in this procedure? Will have to google it I guess. Glad you have options and a good medical center--kind of near you!!  But once again--it's ALWAYS something going on.......you will kick  this too!!!

PAM

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry it came back but the good news is they will kill this sucker surgically. I know your depressed but if had to come back it picked a good spot. Let's be optimistic. They now have advanced tools to get rid of this.

Day 6 and still no word about my MRI. No calls or letter so I will assume it is negative although I can go into the portal. Too frightened. I know with them if something is wrong they call in a heart beat.

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 ---how did you know to ask, the question you asked? Were/are you in the medical field? I find your question very profesional and interesting! If I am being nosey, please excuse----Woman Indifferent

Honored Contributor

@JackieHN ---call them!!!  give your poor brain a break!!!

Respected Contributor

My Dr scheduled me for a followup appontment for next year on Dec 18th. So I guess all is good.

Valued Contributor

Hi Pam...

I don't know much more about the procedure(on Feb 27th) I have to go through than what I told everyone. I'm assuming the freezing procedure kills off the cancer along with the margins--but that's something I will ask the doctor. I was also just told that I need to have ANOTHER PET scan a few days before I see my oncologist the first week of March--guess they are still looking for hot spots and to make sure the original spot is gone. My oncologist will then call in a precription for Tamoxifen or another anti-estrogen drug for me to take daily instead of the Letrozole (which stopped working--my cancer got too smart for it). I will need a PET scan every three months once again.

I already had external and internal pelvic radiation seven years ago, so I cannot have that anymore. No chemo (yet)--my onclogist would want to try immunotherapy first--it is less harsh--chemo would be my last resort. As long as I only have one mass, I have choices. Once the cancer becomes systemic, my options become less. As long as the malignancy stays away from vital organs and lymph nodes, I have choices.

My oncologist was frank--she said I will never be done with this disease--it will tend to pop up off and on---as long as it's caught early and before it spreads, it is manageable. I never ever thought this is how my life would end up in my 60's, but expect the unexpected, right?

Hope everyone is doing well...and is happy. Thanks for the prayers and good wishes---I wish the same for all of you ladies!!