Valued Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

HerRoyalLioness...and all of my friends....

Yes, we have TWO heating systems in our house. When we had our home built, the downstairs was unfinished--the builder wanted a fortune to finish it and my Joe is in construction, so he could do it himself for much cheaper and add a full bath--which is what he did.

The upstairs in our house has forced hot air heat that needs a furnace and vents--the builder put that in--but hot air is DRY.

When Joe finished the downstairs, he decided to put in hot water basebard heat--which needs a boiler. Less dry.

That is why we have two heating systems in our house.

In retrospect, having the forced hot air upstairs worked out in our favor because then we were able to have central a/c installed--since we already had the vents, it was easier to install--and less work. And less of a cost.

Unfortunately, both heating systems were old and died within a week of each other.

Since it is the winter, we had no chocie but to replace both at once---if it was the summer, we would have waited with the boiler--the downstairs is naturally cool and we would not have needed the baseboard heat until the fall. That's not how this all worked out.

And so---as of last week--we have a new furnace and a new boiler. Joe has been retired for five years and felt he could do the work himself to replace the boiler--he cannot lift as much as he used to--and the new boilers have a lot of bells n whistles that he isn't up on--so it was best left to a professional heating company.

Today we had a bay window installed in our living room--unfortunately the installers couldn't finish the job as their estimator measured one peice wrong and they have to have it corrected and will come back to place it--but the piece is ornamental--not functional--so not a huge deal--but still--you would think a big company like Andersen would do their job right the first time---just our luck.

Aside from that, I'm very happy with the bay window--been waiting 34 years to have just the window I wanted!! Makes the living room look beautiful--and Remy is LOVING being able to sit on the platform and look out of the window all he wants--the window doesn't let in the cold air--something our original picture window always did--I always hated it.

Now we are done with home improvements for awhile (I hope!)---hopefully our old roof will hold up for awhile!!

Oh yes, Remy is still a handful....but he's also a delight!! Never knew a Chihuahua before--it's a whole new experience--so different from our beloved Gracie!! Still missing Gracie--I continue to buy her flowers every week and light a candle for her daily---I love Remy differently.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend---God bless!!!

Respected Contributor

@Gracies Mom  - Then I'm not crazy!!  That makes sense now.  Yes, forced air is dry, but I moan and groan in summer because I can't have central air with the hot water heat, only an air conditioning unit on the wall.  Smiley Sad

You have my dream - always wanted a house with a bay window, but never had one.  Enjoy!  I know my cat would love to sit and look out of it as Remy does! 

I totally understand about loving Remy and Gracie differently, only in a cat way.  When we were raising our children, we had the best cat ever and no one could ever come close to the love I had for him.  Buried him in our back yard and I still have a picture of his grave with some yellow mums on it. He was the King of the neighborhood.  

He was a mighty hunter and would bring home his prey to show me.  I was horrified!!!  Then again, he would let my young daughter dress him up and put him a doll buggy and parade him around the house.  One time she and my young son gave him a whisker trim - never heard a peep out of him, until he sat in front of us at dinner with this look on his face like look what they did to me now......  They grew back and the kids got a lesson in why whiskers are important to a cat.  He saw me though some hard times and was always by my side when I would lose it and go in my bedroom and cry. He was 19.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@Gracies Mom I am glad to hear from you, that everything is fine with you, hubby and Remy.  I'm so happy that your PET scan came out fine!

All:  My mammogram came out negative for cancer, and that's a big relief.  I have several doctor appointments and blood tests coming up in November and early December.  I just hope and pray those exams and tests come out okay (stable).

I have a dinner invitation for Thanksgiving, and I'm looking forward to that.

Respected Contributor

@Gracies Mom - Remy is still a youngster, and I'm sure he'll calm down when he's older.  

I have a cat that is 3 1/2 years old, and she sleeps much more than she did when she was a kitten, and she definitely doesn't play as much.  She also doesn't get into things like she did before.  She still likes to chew plastic a bit, but she doesn't chew on cords (at least, I covered most of the cords).

Valued Contributor

No you are NOT crazy HerRoyalLioness!! When I tell anyone about our two heating systems, they look at me as if I have two heads--as if I don't kow what I'm talking about.

I've wanted a bay window since we built our house 34 years ago and now I finally have it! It was installed yestrrday and looks wonderful--it lets in so much light--our house looks so different inside and out! So glad we said the heck with the cost--let's do something for ourselves NOW.

Remy is LOVING it, of course--now he has a panoramic view of our block!

Love hearing the stories about your beloved cat!! How wonderful that he lived until he was 19--that's a ripe old age. Sounds like he had a gentle soul and a loving heart--and he loved you so very much!!

I'm glad you understand how I feel about Gracie--we've had other pets, but none stole my heart like Grace--she was THE ONE. I literally felt a piece of me died when she crossed the Rainbow Bridge--I was right there, stroking her forehead (which she loved) as she passed--I'm glad I was there with her, but I will never forget the look on her face--she didn't want to leave--the vet had to give her extra strong meds until she was at peace. I still feel as if she died yesterday--I get that sense of loss in the pit of my stomach and I cry easily whenver her name is mentioned--I doubt I will ever get over her. Logically I know there was nothing more to be done--she was full of metastatic spleen cancer--how I hate that disease--we lost our first dog Nikki to the same thing 14 years earlier.

I couldn't bear to bury Gracie--she is in an urn in our living room--a gorgeous urn---I continue to light a candle for her daily--and I bring her fresh flowers weekly. I know she was the one who led us to Remy seven months later.

God bless....

Valued Contributor

Hey Mia....So happy that your mammogram came out fine--YAY!!!! I will pray for you that all of your exams and tests come out stable too!!!!!!!!!

How nice that you have a dinner invitation for Thanksgiving!

Sometimes I wish we would get invited for the holiday--but I think I would miss cooking the turkey and sides--and Joe loves leftovers the best--which is why he has no desire to go to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. In the grand scheme of things, it's fine that it's just Joe and I..and Remy. Joe hates to drive on holidays anyway. And right after everything is cleaned up after the meal, Joe likes to start getting out the Christmas decorations and it's onto the next holiday!!!

Blessings to you....

Honored Contributor

BFF, everything will be fine at the Drs.  Ya, the poking and proding and loss of modesty goes out the window.  When I went with Lion for the internal radiation, there must have been 7 people in the room watching because they didn't do it often.  Fun times.  LOL

Lion, yes I'll be ready.  I may be able to go Friday if that's better for you.  I can confirm on Tuesday.  If not, Saturday it is.

Graciesmommy, ya the animals are tough.  I got Ricky and Lucy when they were three months old.  Lucy passed from what they think was heart disease at 14.  She wasn't acting right, took her to the vet and she passed there.  Never would have made it without Rick.  He made it through my cancer treatments.  After I went back to work, he passed at home one day.  He was the love of my life.

Mia, good job on the tests.  The rest will be fine also.

Pam, take it slow.  You didn't have to worry about that crazy snow like Lion and I get.

I have the CAT scan coming up Dec 2.  Oncologist said if it's clean, he'll consider me 5 years cancer free at my March appt and switch me to yearly appointments.

Got my suitcase unpacked and laundry done.  Things are almost back to normal.  Some people went to Canada this week.  I volunteered to go, but was told no.

A few changes at work.  It boils down to a new boss.  Hopefully it will be much better than the old one.  Too early to say.

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness - You had a wonderful cat, that stayed with you when you needed him most.  I can imagine how much you miss him.

I could never dress up my cat.  I have a hard enough time getting her in the cat carrier to take her to the vet or groomer -- and then it's "meow, meow, meow" all the way there and back.

Super Contributor

Ouch!!!! Got a needle of Lidacaine to be able to remove cyst from nether region. Good news...probably  benign; MD sending out to pathology onlyu b/c of cancer history.

Glad that was removed this morning; will take it easy for the rest of the day.

Thank you all, BFF's, for comforting words and thoughts.

Respected Contributor

Mia - so glad your mammo turned out ok and hoping your other tests will turn out ok too.  Let us know.

It's been probably 30 years since my cat passed, and yes i still to this day think about him. He was one of a kind.

Yes, getting cats into a carrier can be a nightmare!!  I see they have ones that have an opening in the top now, which might be easier, but if you have a cat that does not want to go into something, you have a fight on your hands!