Valued Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone!  Sounds like everybody is still in snow storm weather.  Seems like I live on a different continent.  It was 80 F here Sunday....in low 70's today. Pollen starting to fall and cover cars.

To all of those with husband problems, I don't envy you at all the bad cr@p, but I do the good stuff.  Think there is probably some good stuff that y'all still experience because each of you seem to be such strong women, till I don't think you could even tolerate too much BS without their being some good along with it.  Anyway, I surely hope so!   Being alone can actually be fun, but sometimes I can feel very alone which is not fun.  However, I remember in years past when I was  in a bad relationship, I felt more intensely alone then than I have ever  felt when totally by myself.  I think that's the worse...to feel totally alone even when you are actually with spouse or significant other.  It's all a state of mind I guess.  I do enjoy being with myself and my own company  and not really having to answer to anyone, but I do miss my husband as he was a Prince, and I don't think  there are too many of that species left on planet Earth.

Pam, you're going to have PTSD from roofs falling in on you!  So sorry to hear about all you are going through.

Mae, glad that you're going to be out of brace by summer.  Hope the palsy goes away very soon.

GraciesMom, your photo of Remy  was precious!  Thx for posting.

GCR, glad you're back in the USA!  Home Sweet Home!

I saw my Oncologist last week and he said I was doing great and I'm now on a yearly schedule with him.  I did get copies of my tests.

I wanted to ask y'all who understand these tests if I should be at all concerned about low WBC (3.53); low Neut% (47.00); high BASO% (1.70); high Lymph% (39.10) and high MONO% (9.90).  These nos. are from Complete Blood Count with diff. and Platelet Count that they do in their own lab immediately.  I picked this report up after seeing Onc on my way out.   I am thinking that these are numbers connected with my immune system and they can fluctuate up and down all the time.  I don't have prior tests to compare them to and they are different from the way my other Onc.'s report looked.

In my lung CT there are subpleural  nodules in the right lobe less than 5mm and have not changed appreciably.  And scattered small nodules in left lung including a 6mm nodule in base which appears unchanged.  On breast MRI, no suspicious lesions, no skin thickening, no evidence of abnormal enhancement.  1 or 2 very small benign-appearing lymph nodes in the axilla.  Internal mammary chain is clear.  This is  info in a nutshell about breast and lungs.  

Would appreciate any comments from y'all who know better than me if I should have a concern over any number on the Blood Count Test.  

Hi too  to Lannie, Jackie and Mia and everyone!

Honored Contributor

Bow, I pay attention to the RBC and WBC because I know what to do.  My chemo Dr said those numbers would always be low because of the chemo.  Low R, means I'll have no get up and go.  Low W, means I need to worry about germs and catching things from others.  I trust the Dr to tell me what's what when the other numbers are not in normal range.

trade him in?  Lion what goes on over there.  You wild and crazy girl. I forgot to checkup on tomorrows snow.

Sister didn't call tonight.  A little odd.

Respected Contributor

CBC's. can fluctuate. Have you had an infection of any kind recently?? Also you have to go by the range for that particular lab.. Vit B12 deficiency can also affect this Have you had your level checked??. I would have marched right back to the Dr and said, explain please. Lot;s of variables. He obviously wasn't too concerned. Call him back tomorrow and speak to him or go to your GP. I would really have a Vit B12 level done. Thyroid can affect your CBC. Stress can affect your levels. Medications. Your best defense. Eat well, and get rest.

I'm trying to think if there is any good with these men. Oh yes. When the faucet leak he was able to shut off the water. Buck naked of course.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thx GCR and Jackie for quick responses!  When I had the one and only chemo, I did almost die....it was 0 or almost.  I remember that well.  Was very sick and had to take all those shots every day for a while, and took a while  to get well enough for radiation.  So, no more chemo for me.  Jackie, it looks like B12 is fine.  I also take Dr. Mercola's B12 liquid supplement (love it).  I did not have any illness or infection of any kind.  After really trying to figure out this report, it looks as if my previous WBC was 3.54 (norms are 4.10-10.90).   I didn't read these test results myself until yesterday. In n his office, he went over all the other tests with me.  He has an excellent reputation here.   This particular location I go to is named after him.  I would hate to change doctors and go from frying pan into the fire, so I think I will try to continue to work with him.  I think I am going to call his office and try to speak to his PA.

That IS SO funny about your hubs, Jackie.  I honestly would not know how to shut off my plumbing, and don't think I have any tools that would even do that, so I'd be running around the neighborhood buck naked screaming for "Help!"   I guess.  Smiley LOL

Maybe I should ask someone how to do that just so I know.  G-d forbid I run around this neighborhood in birthday suit or even half of one....Smiley LOL

Thx again for advice!

Respected Contributor

Bo what your telling me puts a different spin on things. I think for your peace of mind it's good to clarify things with the PA or Dr.. One chemo did you in. Not unusual. My white count was 3.4 three weeks after my last chemo. I told them my immune system is in the toilet. They said it will improve in time. It did. Funny my RBC's were great. I told them it's from all of the chopped liver I ate. I wouldn't worry too much about this. 

Busy morning. Exterminator was here. I have nothing. Fran is freaking out. She can't handle all of this. I said I'm sorry that you have to go through this but you can handle it all. Bazil is here painting and husband went to the city. I'm stripping the bed and washing everything. 

Lord what we women have to go through.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jackie, the bedbug situation brought to mind something my daughter experienced about 3 yrs. ago.  She had the opportunity to share rent in  a beautiful old historic home in a very popular area with the younger generation referred to as MidTown.  This was during the summer and she was happily enjoying being there when suddenly out of nowhere she pulls up, jumps out of her car, her skin was splotchy and she had tears in her eyes and she was scratching at her skin....not hysterial but almost.  Telling me how her room in this beautiful old house had bedbugs.  She had a packed bag with her.  I said come into the backyard....you can't come into house....lol.   We were causing a comotion.  I had her throw stuff out and put in garbage....strip her clothes off before coming into house directly into shower where she shampooed hair....did everything I could think of....lol.  Anyway, she got in touch with owner right away who was living and working in Texas.  He told her to meet his Exterminator the next morning at the house at 9 a.m.  She was quite a basket case when she left my house the next morning.  Well, the bedbugs turned out to be some sort of termite.  I was greatly relieved and she was beyond relieved, but embarrassed as well.  What a fiasco!  Smiley LOL

Hope Fran's situation gets taken care of and she can settle down.  Glad you had none!

ETAdd:  My RBC on  this test is 4.25 (norms are 4.20 - 6.30)

Honored Contributor

Well, I'm going back.  Probably make arrangements tomorrow to go the week afternext.  I just assume go for two weeks and get it done.

Bow, yes find out about your water shutoffs.  It was my sister and I growing up.  To get out of my mother's hair, we were sent with dad.  We both learned household maintenance.  It's come in handy.  All the sources of water in the house, have a knob near them to turn off the water.  Then there is a main shutoff for the house.  It should be where the water comes in from the well or city.

Sorry you are having man issues jackie. 

Lion, are you snowed in?  I think there's about 3 inches here.  I didn't feel like clearing the driveway, but will have to do it tomorrow.  Have to go see the cat I'm sitting tomorrow too.  Sure hope I don't need to clear that driveway too.  😳  That driveway has a hill.

Respected Contributor

Bo, what a story with the termites. I wouldn't know one if I fell over it. 

After all of these on this earth this is what conclusions I have come up with on these men. The more competent and independent you are the less they do. Let's face it if you were needy and required assistance in everything they wouldn't have married you. We are their second mother's. They watched them take care of home and family, some had to work and they did everything. So there you go. I am sure they were just as frustrated as we are with these men. So I complain to you girls. Just had to give him a list of things to do.......... Boris has spoken. Pain isn't caused from his stenosis which is very minimal but from bulging discs and arthritis. Told bozo that but he wouldn't listen to me. Had one epidural. He comes home and says look at the hole in my back from the needle. I said there isn't one, go away.

Fran had bedbugs in her box spring that's it. It was thrown out and a new one ordered. Rest of the house is clean. None of the surrounding apts have them. Good news

Well Gc you know what to expect this time around. I guess you'll be staying at the same hotel again. Hopefully this time the flights will go as planned.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago , DD had the trifecta in her apt.: bedbugs, roaches, and lice (you are hearing me running from the room screaming!!). She had to toss furniture and shortly after, move.

It was the surrounding apts. that were the cause of the bedbugs and roaches...no comment about head lice. As a teacher I only got those 1x from a kiddo-I made a point of not hugging the kiddos.

Went to 1st PT today-can you say owww? Bent my knee for the 1st time and was only at 55%. I'm more scared of doing something worse to myself but therapist was encouraging but not pushy. I go back Tuesday-2x a week. Have to exercise 2x a day-no sweat, just scared of pushing my very tight bent knee.

DH wouldnt keep quiet; felt it necessary to 'share' his knee issues...really? Next time will ask him to stuff a sock in it. He actually called me a crybaby-such temerity.

It was 80 degrees and clear today. I wore shorts.

I have a long memory. DH will get his karmic justice at some point.

Honored Contributor

BFF, I guess he's not going to change now.  I bet bending your knee was eye opening.  

Hotels are scarce in the middle of no where.

More snow on the way.  I'm tired of hearing about it and talking about it.  Initially the weather man said a little snow with ice on top.  Tonight he said could be ten inches.  Yikes.